It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 12:39
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Write a Narrative Essay

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 27 Jun 2017
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Write a Narrative Essay [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2017, 08:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Everyone,
I am discussing my point of view on writing an narrative essay.
Here are few tips :-
(1) Tell your story vividly and accurately.
A narrative essay recounts an incident that either you or others have experienced. In a narrative essay, you could describe a personal experience in which embryonic stem cell research could have helped you or someone you love conquer a debilitating condition.
(2) Include all of the elements of good storytelling.
You'll need an introduction, setting, plot, characters, climax and conclusion.
> Introduction: The beginning. How are you going to set the story up? Is there something useful or important here that gets mentioned later on?
> Setting: Where the action takes place. What does it look like? Which words can you use to make the reader feel like they are there when they read it?
> Plot: What happens. The meat of the story, the essential action. Why is the story worth telling?
> Characters: Who's in the story. What does the story tell us about the characters? What do the characters tell us about the story?
> Climax: The suspenseful bit before anything is resolved. Are we left hanging on the edges of our seat? Do we need to know what happens next?
> Conclusion: How everything resolves. What does the story mean in the end? How have things, people, ideas changed now that the end is revealed?
(3) Have a clear point of view.
Most narrative essays are written from the author's point of view, but you can also consider other perspectives as long as your point of view is consistent.
> Utilize the pronoun "I" if you are the narrator. In a narrative essay, you can use first person. However, make sure that you don't overdo it. In all essays, you sound more authoritative if you state facts or opinions in third person.
(4) Make a point.
You're telling a story, but the purpose of the story is to make a specific point. Introduce your main idea in your thesis statement, and make sure that all of your story elements tie back to your thesis statement.
> What did you learn? How is your essay an exploration of the things that you learned?
> How have you changed? How is the "you" that started the essay different from the "you" now? Related to, but different from, the "what did you learn?" question.
(5) Choose your language carefully.
You will use words to evoke emotions in your reader, so choose your words deliberately.
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 4879
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 973 [0], given: 4487

CAT Tests
Re: Write a Narrative Essay [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2017, 02:10
Expert's post
Look at here also for reference greprepclub-guide-to-awa-the-clear-cut-3426.html

regards
_________________

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2018
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Write a Narrative Essay [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2018, 03:08
Narrative means that you are telling the story so you need to tell the story such as the character is telling the story - think Perks of being a Wallflower etc, its Charlie narrating his life.
Re: Write a Narrative Essay   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2018, 03:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Write a Narrative Essay

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Kindly note that the GRE® test is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by ETS®.