It is currently 17 Feb 2019, 12:23
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Which of the following is equal to..for all integers x and y

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
GRE Prep Club Legend
GRE Prep Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2014
Posts: 4856
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 102

Kudos [?]: 1736 [0], given: 397

Which of the following is equal to..for all integers x and y [#permalink] New post 20 May 2016, 17:51
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

82% (01:06) correct 17% (01:26) wrong based on 29 sessions
Which of the following is equal to \(\frac{2^{x-y}}{2^{x+y}}\) for all integers \(x\) and \(y\) ?



A. \(4^{-x}\)

B. \(4^{-y}\)

C. \(2^{xy}\)

D. \(4^x\)

E. \(4^y\)

Practice Questions
Question: 10
Page: 83
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test


Last edited by Carcass on 08 Feb 2019, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
Edited by Carcass
1 KUDOS received
GRE Prep Club Legend
GRE Prep Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2014
Posts: 4856
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 102

Kudos [?]: 1736 [1] , given: 397

Re: Which of the following is equal to..for all integers x and y [#permalink] New post 20 May 2016, 18:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Explanation

Simplifying the fraction \(\frac{2^x^-^y}{2^x^+^y}\), yields \(\frac{2^x^-^y}{2^x^+^y}\)=\(2^-^2^y\). The only answer choice with 2 as the base is Choice C, \(2^x^y\), , which is clearly not the correct answer. Since all the other answer choices have 4 as the base, it is a good idea to rewrite 2–2y as an expression with 4 as the base, as follows.

\(2^-^2^y= \frac{1}{2^2^y}= 4^-^y\).

Thus the correct answer is Choice B.
_________________

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

GRE Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2015
Posts: 1410
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 1347 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests
Re: Which of the following is equal to..for all integers x and y [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2016, 14:55
Expert's post
sandy wrote:
Which of the following is equal to \(\frac{2^x^-^y}{2^x^+^y}\) for all integers x and y ?

A. \(4^-^x\)
B. \(4^-^y\)
C. \(2^x^y\)
D. \(4^x\)
E. \(4^y\)


Another approach is to use the INPUT-OUTPUT method.

Let x = 2 and y = 1


In this case, \(\frac{2^x^-^y}{2^x^+^y}\) = \(\frac{2^1}{2^3}\) = \(\frac{1}{4}\)
So, when the INPUT is x = 2 and y = 1, the OUTPUT is 1/4

The correct answer choice will be the one that has an OUTPUT of 1/4 when the INPUT is x = 2 and y = 1

A. \(4^-^x\) = 4^(-2) = 1/16. ELIMINATE A.
B. \(4^-^y\) = 4^(-1) = 1/4. KEEP B.
C. \(2^x^y\) = 2^(2) = 4. ELIMINATE C.
D. \(4^x\) = 4^(2) = 16. ELIMINATE D.
E. \(4^y\) = 4^(1) = 4. ELIMINATE E.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B


RELATED RESOURCES (videos)
- Variables in the Answer Choices - https://www.greenlighttestprep.com/modu ... /video/936
- Tips for the Algebraic Approach - https://www.greenlighttestprep.com/modu ... /video/937
- Tips for the Input-Output Approach - https://www.greenlighttestprep.com/modu ... /video/938

Cheers,
Brent
_________________

Brent Hanneson – Creator of greenlighttestprep.com
Image
Sign up for our free GRE Question of the Day emails

Intern
Intern
Joined: 18 Jul 2018
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Which of the following is equal to..for all integers x and y [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2018, 19:38
sandy wrote:
Explanation

Simplifying the fraction \(\frac{2^x^-^y}{2^x^+^y}\), yields \(\frac{2^x^-^y}{2^x^+^y}\)=\(2^-^2^y\). The only answer choice with 2 as the base is Choice C, \(2^x^y\), , which is clearly not the correct answer. Since all the other answer choices have 4 as the base, it is a good idea to rewrite 2–2y as an expression with 4 as the base, as follows.

\(2^-^2^y= \frac{1}{2^2^y}= 4^-^y\).

Thus the correct answer is Choice B.


Can you please explain how you simplify that fraction?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 09 Nov 2018
Posts: 499
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: Which of the following is equal to..for all integers x and y [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2018, 05:56
msawicka wrote:
sandy wrote:
Explanation

Simplifying the fraction \(\frac{2^x^-^y}{2^x^+^y}\), yields \(\frac{2^x^-^y}{2^x^+^y}\)=\(2^-^2^y\). The only answer choice with 2 as the base is Choice C, \(2^x^y\), , which is clearly not the correct answer. Since all the other answer choices have 4 as the base, it is a good idea to rewrite 2–2y as an expression with 4 as the base, as follows.

\(2^-^2^y= \frac{1}{2^2^y}= 4^-^y\).

Thus the correct answer is Choice B.


Can you please explain how you simplify that fraction?


=\(\frac{2^x^-^y}{2^x^+^y}\)

=\(2^x^-^y^-^x^-^y\)

=\(2^-^2^y\)

now
\(2^-^2^y= \frac{1}{2^2^y}= 4^-^y\).
Re: Which of the following is equal to..for all integers x and y   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2018, 05:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Which of the following is equal to..for all integers x and y

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Kindly note that the GRE® test is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by ETS®.