It is currently 19 Feb 2020, 09:44
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Whenever the sun is shining and the windchill factor is belo

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Followers: 199

Kudos [?]: 2366 [1] , given: 9155

CAT Tests
Whenever the sun is shining and the windchill factor is belo [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2020, 11:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

42% (01:28) correct 57% (02:05) wrong based on 21 sessions
Whenever the sun is shining and the windchill factor is below zero, Susan wears her parka. Whenever it is raining and the windchill factor is above zero, Susan wears her raincoat. Sometimes it rains when the sun is shining.

If the above statements are true, which of the following must also be true?

(A) If it is not raining and Susan is wearing her parka, the sun is shining.
(B) If the windchill factor is below zero and Susan is not wearing her parka, the sun is not shining.
(C) If the windchill factor is below zero and it is not raining, Susan is wearing her parka.
(D) If the windchill factor is below zero and it is raining, Susan is wearing her raincoat.
(E) If it rains while the sun is shining and the windchill factor is zero, Susan wears her parka

Kudos for the right answer and explanation
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

1 KUDOS received
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 130 [1] , given: 35

CAT Tests
Re: Whenever the sun is shining and the windchill factor is belo [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2020, 17:17
This post received
KUDOS
Excellent question! As one could expect from the official source.

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 35

CAT Tests
Re: Whenever the sun is shining and the windchill factor is belo [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2020, 18:04
I can understand why B is correct, but not sure why A is wrong. maybe because I'm missing something in my comprehension.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 17

CAT Tests
Re: Whenever the sun is shining and the windchill factor is belo [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2020, 22:54
theBrahmaTiger wrote:
I can understand why B is correct, but not sure why A is wrong. maybe because I'm missing something in my comprehension.

Option B specifies all the aspects holistically i.e., Windchill factor, parka and the sun shine, whereas option A talks only of climatic condition and parka.

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 35

CAT Tests
Re: Whenever the sun is shining and the windchill factor is belo [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2020, 01:50
Ashgre wrote:
theBrahmaTiger wrote:

Option B specifies all the aspects holistically i.e., Windchill factor, parka and the sun shine, whereas option A talks only of climatic condition and parka.

If option A says that Susan is wearing a parka, then doesn't that mean automatically that the sun is shining and windchill is below zero?

The only thing that I could think of about option A is that "it is not raining" is just not enough, as we can not infer that if it is not raining, then the sun is shining. So, I think that's why A and C are wrong.
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 2366 [0], given: 9155

CAT Tests
Re: Whenever the sun is shining and the windchill factor is belo [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2020, 02:29
Expert's post
Ashgre wrote:
theBrahmaTiger wrote:

I totally agree with Ashgre.

Basically, in A we DO NOT have information about the windchill if is < or > zero.

B instead tells us all the information contained in the passage. In fact, if you look at the other wrong options there is always a contradiction or a missing piece of evidence.

Regards

GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: AGSM '22
WE: Asset Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Whenever the sun is shining and the windchill factor is belo [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2020, 04:04
hi all,

i answerd C assuming that windchill <0 and it's not raining means that we are in the first part of the statement therefore she wears her parka.

@carcass can you please provid an analysis for all the answer choice, i may be mistaken in my understanding.

Thanks in advance
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 2366 [1] , given: 9155

CAT Tests
Re: Whenever the sun is shining and the windchill factor is belo [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2020, 02:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The best way to solve this problem is to set a clear and efficient math approach.

If a similar question is in your real test you should skip it or make an educated guess after two minutes at most if you are not able to figure it out

Whenever the sun is shining and the windchill factor is below zero, Susan wears her parka.

S+(-W)= P

Whenever it is raining and the windchill factor is above zero, Susan wears her raincoat.

R+W=RC

Sometimes it rains when the sun is shining.

Rain ------------------------------------------------------------------ Shine

In the middle we do not know yet

(A) If it is not raining and Susan is wearing her parka, the sun is shining

The sun is shining so it NOT rain and we dress a parka. However, we do not have information about the windchill and also we could wear a raincoat because when the sun is shining it could be also raining.

(B) If the windchill factor is below zero and Susan is not wearing her parka, the sun is not shining.

That must be true. essentially it is a rephrasing of the first sentence. We do know for sure that if we do have W negative and NOT a parka for sure is raining. Turns out, the sun is not shining

(C) If the windchill factor is below zero and it is not raining, Susan is wearing her parka.

"not raining" doest mean sun is shining. However, this is probably the most tricky among the ballpark.

(D) If the windchill factor is below zero and it is raining, Susan is wearing her raincoat.

Here the W must be positive if she wears a raincoat. But W is negative. Definitely wrong

(E) If it rains while the sun is shining and the windchill factor is zero, Susan wears her parka

W=zero. it is not mentioned. or W is positive or W is negative.

Hope this helps

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 4

Re: Whenever the sun is shining and the windchill factor is belo [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2020, 05:31
This post received
KUDOS
Slight formal logic twist to this but here goes nothing. What we need to remember that this is an inference question so the correct answer MUST BE TRUE.

We are given that:
1. Whenever the sun is shining and the windchill factor is below zero, Susan wears her parka.
2. Whenever it is raining and the windchill factor is above zero, Susan wears her raincoat.
3. Sometimes it rains when the sun is shining.

(A) If it is not raining and Susan is wearing her parka, the sun is shining-
Not raining + Parka is not given to us so we can't assume this to always be true. Moreover, two statements can't be mixed and matched in my opinion.

(B) If the windchill factor is below zero and Susan is not wearing her parka, the sun is not shining-
In the first equation we are given sun shining+ windchill factor below zero= Parka. This statement is simply reversing our equation and stating sun not shining due to variables of first equation not being filled. This must be true given our constraints.

(C) If the windchill factor is below zero and it is not raining, Susan is wearing her parka-
Not raining doesn't equate to sun shining so this option can be eliminated.

(D) If the windchill factor is below zero and it is raining, Susan is wearing her raincoat-
Wrong. Windchill factor needs to be above zero for raincoat to be the result.

We are given no results to raining while sun is shining so this can easily be discarded.
Re: Whenever the sun is shining and the windchill factor is belo   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2020, 05:31

Whenever the sun is shining and the windchill factor is belo

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact