It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 05:48
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

What readers most commonly remember about John Stuart

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 64

What readers most commonly remember about John Stuart [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2016, 05:03
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

36% (01:33) correct 63% (01:07) wrong based on 11 sessions
What readers most commonly remember about John Stuart Mill’s classic exploration of the liberty of thought and discussion concerns the danger of (i)__________: in the absence of challenge, one’s opinions, even when they are correct, grow weak and flabby. Yet Mill had another reason for encouraging the liberty of thought and discussion: the danger of partiality and incompleteness. Since one’s opinions, even under the best circumstances, tend to (ii)__________, and because opinions opposed to one’s own rarely turn out to be completely (iii)__________, it is crucial to supplement one’s opinions with alternative points of view.

Blank (i)Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
A. tendentiousnessD. embrace only a portion of the truthG. erroneous
B. complacencyE. change over timeH. antithetical
C. fractiousnessF. focus on matters close at handI. immutable

Practice Test Questions
Question: 11
Page: 323

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B D and G
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 439 [1] , given: 64

Re: What readers most commonly remember about John Stuart [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2016, 05:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

Explanation

An overview of the passage suggests that the first sentence is relatively self-contained and that the blank is answerable without the succeeding sentences, where the topic shifts slightly. The colon after the first blank signals that what follows will define the word in the blank and will explain what danger Mill was concerned about. It says that without challenge, one’s opinions grow “weak and flabby” and therefore one becomes complacent, not tendentious or fractious. A quick reading of the next two sentences suggests that the topic will be another danger that Mill described, “the danger of partiality and incompleteness.” Free and open discussion needs to take place because each person’s opinion tends to “embrace only a portion of the truth” and others’ views are partially right, or never completely “erroneous.” The other choices for the second and third blanks deal with change, immediacy, or antithesis, none of which relate to the
second danger of “partiality” or “incompleteness.”

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

Re: What readers most commonly remember about John Stuart   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2016, 05:05

What readers most commonly remember about John Stuart

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact