It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 07:40
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

What is the maximum value of m such that 7^m divides into 14

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 982 [0], given: 4518

CAT Tests
What is the maximum value of m such that 7^m divides into 14 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2018, 02:29
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

80% (00:43) correct 20% (01:40) wrong based on 10 sessions
What is the maximum value of m such that \(7^m\) divides into \(14!\) evenly?

(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 467 [1] , given: 83

CAT Tests
Re: What is the maximum value of m such that 7^m divides into 14 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2018, 22:01
This post received
KUDOS
\(14!\) can be written as \(14*13*12*11*10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1\)
Here we only need terms that are multiples of \(7\) so we have \(14\) and\(7\).
\(14\) can be rewritten as \(7 *2\) hence in this factorial we have \(7^2 * a\) ; where a is all the other remaining numbers multiplied together
Hence in the expression \(7^m\) m can acquire the maximum value of \(2\)
option B

Another approach is to divide the factorial number by the number in question whose power is to be raised
Therefore \(\frac{14}{7} = 2\)
\(2\) cannot be further divided by \(7\) hence \(m = 2\)

This is my response to the question and may be incorrect. Feel free to rectify any mistakes

Manager
Manager
GRE 1: Q142 V146
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 99

Re: What is the maximum value of m such that 7^m divides into 14 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2018, 05:41
amorphous wrote:
\(14!\) can be written as \(14*13*12*11*10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1\)
Here we only need terms that are multiples of \(7\) so we have \(14\) and\(7\).
\(14\) can be rewritten as \(7 *2\) hence in this factorial we have \(7^2 * a\) ; where a is all the other remaining numbers multiplied together
Hence in the expression \(7^m\) m can acquire the maximum value of \(2\)
option B

Another approach is to divide the factorial number by the number in question whose power is to be raised
Therefore \(\frac{14}{7} = 2\)
\(2\) cannot be further divided by \(7\) hence \(m = 2\)

I am unable to understand the questions..I thought we need to find M , for which when 7 raised to M divides completely 14!.

but the explanation is focused upon find the value of m for which when 7 is raised it devides 14 complete .. it is a no brainer ..it has to be 2..

Please explain.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 467 [1] , given: 83

CAT Tests
Re: What is the maximum value of m such that 7^m divides into 14 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2018, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
wording for a question can be tricky. The question is asking how many times 7 can be raised within 14!.

GRE does not throw lengthy problems that takes up lots of time in solving. If your reasoning involves lots of computations probably you need to look at the problem from a different angle. In fact the use of calculator is to make sure that test is focused on testing concepts over tedious working on part of test-takers.

This is my response to the question and may be incorrect. Feel free to rectify any mistakes

1 KUDOS received
GRE Instructor
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 1059 [1] , given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: What is the maximum value of m such that 7^m divides into 14 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2018, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Carcass wrote:
What is the maximum value of m such that \(7^m\) divides into \(14!\) evenly?

(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5

This question needs some kind of information that restricts the value of m to integer values only.
Otherwise, there exists a non-integer value of m such that 7^m = 14!
To be more precise, 7^(12.946) ≈ 14!, which means 7^(12.946) is definitely a divisor of 14!

Cheers,
Brent

Brent Hanneson – Creator of greenlighttestprep.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: Q142 V146
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 99

Re: What is the maximum value of m such that 7^m divides into 14 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2018, 21:10
This post received
KUDOS
amorphous wrote:
wording for a question can be tricky. The question is asking how many times 7 can be raised within 14!.

GRE does not throw lengthy problems that takes up lots of time in solving. If your reasoning involves lots of computations probably you need to look at the problem from a different angle. In fact the use of calculator is to make sure that test is focused on testing concepts over tedious working on part of test-takers.

I tend to focus more on calculations rather than concepts, before your comment I used to think the more faster and efficiently I can calculate the better it is. since it is maths ,calculation will be an important part of it but the reason you gave about the calculator used in the TEST is really insightful.

test is testing our concepts hmm :)

Thank you
Re: What is the maximum value of m such that 7^m divides into 14   [#permalink] 09 May 2018, 21:10

What is the maximum value of m such that 7^m divides into 14

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact