It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 13:32
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

What are the greatest and smallest positive differences

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 1612 [0], given: 375

CAT Tests
What are the greatest and smallest positive differences [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2016, 17:18
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

75% (01:01) correct 25% (00:00) wrong based on 8 sessions
What are the greatest and smallest positive differences between any of the factors of 210?

A. 103 and 1
B. 209 and 0
C. 210 and 1
D. 103 and 11
E. 209 and 1

Drill 3
Question: 8
Page: 290
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 1612 [0], given: 375

CAT Tests
Re: What are the greatest and smallest positive differences [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2016, 17:21
Expert's post
Explanation

First, list all of the factors of 210. The easiest way to do this is in pairs, starting with 1 and 210 (remember, the number itself is considered one of its factors). Count up from one and check to see if each number you count is a factor of 210.

1 and 210
2 and 105
3 and 70
5 and 42
7 and 3
10 and 21
14 and 15

When you reach 14, you’ll see that you’ll just repeat 15 and 14 if you keep counting, so you know you’re finished. The question asked for the greatest and smallest positive difference between any two factors. (It’s helpful that the question specified positive difference so you know you don’t need to count negative differences, though once you look at the answer choices you can see that’s not what the question is asking for). The way you listed the factors makes this easy because as you look down the list, the difference between factors decreases.

So the greatest difference is between 210 and 1, and the smallest difference is between 14 and 15. The final answer is 209 and 1.

Hence option E is correct.

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Re: What are the greatest and smallest positive differences   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2016, 17:21

What are the greatest and smallest positive differences

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact