It is currently 07 Aug 2020, 16:54
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Video game enthusiasts know that, while the astounding

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 167

Kudos [?]: 2818 [1] , given: 394

Video game enthusiasts know that, while the astounding [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2017, 14:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

34% (00:37) correct 65% (00:43) wrong based on 156 sessions

Video game enthusiasts know that, while the astounding advances in technological innovation might increase the level of fun of the gaming experience, such a result is by no means (i) ______.

Blank (i)
(A) desultory
(B) endemic
(C) salient
(D) ineluctable
(E) seminal
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 167

Kudos [?]: 2818 [1] , given: 394

Re: Video game enthusiasts know that, while the astounding [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2017, 16:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Explanation

The opposite-direction trigger while and the clue might require that the blank mean something like inevitable. None of desultory, endemic, salient, or seminal means inevitable, so eliminate choices (A), (B), (C), and (E). Ineluctable means inevitable, so select choice (D).

Hence option D is correct!

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Video game enthusiasts know that, while the astounding [#permalink] New post 10 May 2019, 20:45
sandy wrote:
Explanation

The opposite-direction trigger while and the clue might require that the blank mean something like inevitable. None of desultory, endemic, salient, or seminal means inevitable, so eliminate choices (A), (B), (C), and (E). Ineluctable means inevitable, so select choice (D).

Hence option D is correct!

Hi, I'm not quite clear with your explanation, could you please elaborate more?
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Followers: 264

Kudos [?]: 3153 [1] , given: 11586

CAT Tests
Re: Video game enthusiasts know that, while the astounding [#permalink] New post 13 May 2019, 02:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Actually, the meaning of the sentence is: even though the immense developments in the video game industry (textures, high rate frame and so forth) this advancements are still reversible or at least we will reach a point of a stall point.

So D catches this meaning. The others are out of scope.

Ask for further assistance if you do need.

Regards

PS: not a good question with some flaws

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Video game enthusiasts know that, while the astounding [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2020, 22:46
I don't think that this is true! A lot of video games on the PC can be easily downloaded and installed from pirate trackers so it's quite easy to play in different games instead of Console gaming.
Intern
Intern

Re: Video game enthusiasts know that, while the astounding [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2020, 07:54
TacticalKarma wrote:
I don't think that this is true! A lot of video games on the PC can be easily downloaded and installed from pirate trackers so it's quite easy to play in different games instead of Console gaming.

Totally agree with u. I also don't think this is true. It's easy to find, easy to download, easy to install. Console gaming is good, yeah. However, one thing that I like is that PC has Steam and there are more multiplayer games as CS:GO. Such games can improve combat process that u can use. CS:GO is a great game, but I can't admit that it's quite difficult to raise the profile lvl, so I guess it's better to buy the cheapest csgo boost that can improve the rank with less personal time and not too much money for it. It's up to u.
Intern
Intern

Re: Video game enthusiasts know that, while the astounding [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2020, 00:23
Yeah I also agree that all developments in video games will stop soon and in the future big differences between old and new games will be very small. For example now I am playing in Valorant, new first person shooter game and to be honest it looks like CS GO but much better. The idea is that the difference is not so essential, I am sure that new sport games also will be the same just a little difference maybe in graphic or new GTA will look like old one. If you are interested in upgrading your valorant account you can try valorboosting.com
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Video game enthusiasts know that, while the astounding [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2020, 00:00
Explanation:
I believe the word "might" gives the clue here.
As the sentence goes, it is said the innovation "might" increase the level of fun and this suggests that the result can be possible/not-possible, occur/not-occur. From here it could be easy to catch a word that could describe this uncertainty.
Hence the word "ineluctable".
Re: Video game enthusiasts know that, while the astounding   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2020, 00:00

Video game enthusiasts know that, while the astounding

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact