It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 22:21
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

US company ownership

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

US company ownership [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2018, 13:16
00:00

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
There are two relevant questions, but I don't know how to solve.

1. Quantity A : Average receipts per female company, Quantity B: Average receipts per male company

2. Quantity A: Average salary in public company, Quantity B: Average salary in nonpublic company

Answers: 1. B, 2. A
Attachments

File comment: histogram
30652247_1640395482743380_8832395314154438656_n.jpg
30652247_1640395482743380_8832395314154438656_n.jpg [ 675.55 KiB | Viewed 1040 times ]

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [1] , given: 0

Re: US company ownership [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2018, 23:06
This post received
KUDOS
Firstly, Sihyun, where did these graphs come from? These are some of the most obtuse and unclearly labeled graphs I've ever seen. Sometimes, if you're having trouble with problems that don't come from ETS, it's not your fault; it's the fault of whoever made the problem. Some companies produce decent problems, but many produce a lot of garbage. (In this problem, the top graph is labeled "All US Companies Ownership" but then one of the columns is labeled "Receipts." That has nothing to do with ownership. What does that even mean? Totally unclear. Also, what exactly is the difference between these two graphs? They both have that mysterious "receipts" column that seems to be identical in both. The second one is labeled "US companies with Employees." Does that mean the first one is US companies without employees? How do you have a company with no employees? What's the difference between "Firms" in the first and "Num. Firms" in the second? Especially since they're both labeled against a per cent column? I could ask more questions, but an ETS graph would never be like this. They might be complex, but they'd never be completely unclear. I guess the take away from all this is that you shouldn't waste your time with questions from whichever company came up with this atrocity. Switch!)

Anyway let's do our best. For your first question, I'd simply look at the receipts column and see that the section labeled male is much larger than that labeled female, so quantity B is larger.

For your second question, there is nothing labeled salary. But I suppose we could look at the "Payroll" column, which is badly labeled but apparently means total pay in the company. Then we can compare it with the "Num. Employees" column, which I suppose means the number of employees in the company. Then if we notice that the payroll of the public companies is larger than the number of employees in the public companies, we see that the payroll to employee ratio is greater than 1. "Nonpublic" isn't shown but it must be the rest of the companies. So we can see that the nonpublic payroll to nonpublic employees is less than 1. Thus A is greater. I guess.

How is it that the companies are either public or male-owned? How is this not an overlapping set? These graphs make me upset. Get different books, Sihyun!

-
-
-
-
-

Need help with GRE math? Check out our ground-breaking books and app.

Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 971 [0], given: 4479

CAT Tests
Re: US company ownership [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2018, 07:21
Expert's post
Please reformat the question according to the rules

https://greprepclub.com/forum/qq-how-to ... -2357.html

Thank you so much.

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 15

Re: US company ownership [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2018, 15:10
Hi, where can I find the full question for this one?

CAT Tests
Re: US company ownership [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2018, 15:43
Expert's post
Hi,

you could elaborate better what do you mean ?
Regards

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 15

Re: US company ownership [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2018, 15:48
Carcass wrote:
Hi,

you could elaborate better what do you mean ?
Regards

Hi Carcass, I only see the image of graphs. I am not sure where the questions associated with graph is. Could you please provide a link or book source? Thanks!

CAT Tests
Re: US company ownership [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2018, 15:57
Expert's post
This question , obviously, was not posted by me.

See the first post you do have the graph and the first question is

Quantity A
Quantity B
Average receipts per female company
Average receipts per male company

The second is

Quantity A
Quantity B
Average salary in public company
Average salary in nonpublic company

If you take a look to the explanation provided by sherpa prep, it is well formulated.

US company ownership

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact