It is currently 02 Jul 2020, 06:28
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Unlike the problems in recent financial scandals, issues

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 163

Kudos [?]: 2740 [0], given: 394

Unlike the problems in recent financial scandals, issues [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2016, 04:54
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

58% (01:00) correct 41% (01:32) wrong based on 114 sessions
Unlike the problems in recent financial scandals, issues raised by the regulators in this case appear largely to pertain to unwieldy accounting rules that are open to widely divergent interpretations — not to (i)________ transactions designed to (ii)________ corporate malfeasance.

Blank (i)Blank (ii)
A) shamD) cloak
B) unpremeditatedE) ameliorate
C) justifiableF) illuminate

Practice Test Questions
Question: 5
Page: 447
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Retired Moderator
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 163

Kudos [?]: 2740 [0], given: 394

Re: Unlike the problems in recent financial scandals, issues [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2016, 04:55
Expert's post
Explanation

The “Unlike” at the beginning of the sentence and the “not to” that follows the dash set up a contrast between the relatively innocent problems in the current case and the issues involved in the “recent financial scandals.” Clearly, these latter issues must have involved wrongdoing. Looking at the second blank, only transactions designed to “cloak” corporate malfeasance would qualify: both ameliorating and illuminating malfeasance are positive actions. For the first blank, only “sham” fits; “unpremeditated” or “justifiable” transactions could not be designed to cloak malfeasance.

Thus, the correct answer is sham (Choice A) and cloak (Choice D).

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 58

Re: Unlike the problems in recent financial scandals, issues [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2019, 05:22
Hello guys
I was trying the strategy of finding the word that meets the meaning of the sentence without looking to the answer choices first and then match the meaning with the answers. But at this question, I got lost.
what do I find " .. - not to clear the transactions designed to make troubles to the company"

but when I saw the answer choice and the answer I didn't understand it. May someone pls clarify ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Unlike the problems in recent financial scandals, issues [#permalink] New post 11 May 2020, 15:40
The financial and economic passages are among the worst. I am not a fan of those kinds of topics, and they are actually more difficult than others. They say that you have to "feign enthusiasm" (i.e. pretend to love) GRE passages if you want to do well on them, but you need to call a spade a spade here...if you don't like something, you need to show it! In fact, some of these questions actually do require you to have some kind of knowledge of economic or financial terminology if you are to get the question correct. That's very unethical for the test writers to do, especially when you're not going for a master's in accounting, business, finance, etc. That's why we have the GMAT, right? Leave these kinds of questions for the GMAT and not the GRE!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 13

Re: Unlike the problems in recent financial scandals, issues [#permalink] New post 12 May 2020, 14:08
the second blank talks about ---- the cooperate malfeasance. so because of the word 'malfeasance' we know that its is not a good thing and hence 'stopping' could work here. so answer choice d fits perfectly. for the first blank the grammar of the words 'justifiable' and 'unpremeditated' does not match with the words in context and so answer choice A fits the blank. Even though this is not the right approach to tackle these questions, checking the grammar in context helps sometimes.
Re: Unlike the problems in recent financial scandals, issues   [#permalink] 12 May 2020, 14:08

Unlike the problems in recent financial scandals, issues

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact