It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 21:24
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Two years ago, the cost of the raw material used in a partic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1033 [0], given: 4655

CAT Tests
Two years ago, the cost of the raw material used in a partic [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2018, 07:20
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

53% (01:24) correct 46% (01:45) wrong based on 30 sessions
Two years ago, the cost of the raw material used in a particular product doubled after an earthquake disrupted production in the region where the material is mined. Since that time, the company that makes the product has seen its profit margins decline steadily. Aiming to improve profit margins, the company’s head of engineering has decided that he must find a new source for the raw material.

Which of the following, if true, would cast the most doubt on the validity of the head of engineering’s decision?

(A) New competitors have entered the market every six months for the past two years, resulting in price wars that have progressively driven down revenues across the market.
(B) Although the earthquake occurred two years ago, the region’s mines have still not recovered to pre-earthquake production capacity.
(C) There are several other regions in the world where the raw material is mined, but those regions do not produce as much of the raw material as the current source region.
(D) The company could use a completely different raw material to make its product.
(E) Recent advances in mining technology will make mining the raw material much more efficient and cost-effective in the future.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 6

Re: Two years ago, the cost of the raw material used in a partic [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2018, 03:25
The best answer to this question would show why profit margins will drop, even though the company find a new source. choice A best answers to the condition I mentioned.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 15

CAT Tests
Re: Two years ago, the cost of the raw material used in a partic [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2018, 14:47
I think C also casts doubt on the decision. If new source mines will not produce enough material, profits will still be down.
Re: Two years ago, the cost of the raw material used in a partic   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2018, 14:47

Two years ago, the cost of the raw material used in a partic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact