It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 10:56
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Trapezoid OPQR has one vertex at the origin. What is the ar

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1035 [1] , given: 4660

CAT Tests
Trapezoid OPQR has one vertex at the origin. What is the ar [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2017, 10:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

40% (02:25) correct 60% (02:56) wrong based on 25 sessions

Attachment:
axis.jpg
axis.jpg [ 17.11 KiB | Viewed 1385 times ]

Trapezoid OPQR has one vertex at the origin. What is the area of OPQR ?

A. \(\frac{a^2}{4}\)

B. \(\frac{a^2}{2}\)

C. \(\frac{3a^2}{4}\)

D. \(\frac{3a^2}{2}\)

E. \(2a^2\)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 330 [2] , given: 66

Re: Trapezoid OPQR has one vertex at the origin. What is the ar [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2017, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
To find coordinates of point P, I exploit the fact that the two basis of a trapezoid are parallel and thus since OR slope is (a-0)/(2a-0)=1/2, the slope of QP must be the same, i.e. (a-y)/(a-x) = 1/2, where (x,y) are the coordinates of P. Since P is on the x-axis, its x is equal to 0 and thanks to this information we can solve the equation (a-y)/a=1/2 that gives a value of y = a/2.

Given that should I use OP as height to compute the area? Because it does not seem to be perpendicular to the larger base. I also tried to think about dividing the figure in a triangle and a parallelogram but it doesn't work.

Any hint?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 2

Re: Trapezoid OPQR has one vertex at the origin. What is the ar [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2018, 15:41
This post received
KUDOS
IlCreatore wrote:
To find coordinates of point P, I exploit the fact that the two basis of a trapezoid are parallel and thus since OR slope is (a-0)/(2a-0)=1/2, the slope of QP must be the same, i.e. (a-y)/(a-x) = 1/2, where (x,y) are the coordinates of P. Since P is on the x-axis, its x is equal to 0 and thanks to this information we can solve the equation (a-y)/a=1/2 that gives a value of y = a/2.

Given that should I use OP as height to compute the area? Because it does not seem to be perpendicular to the larger base. I also tried to think about dividing the figure in a triangle and a parallelogram but it doesn't work.

Any hint?

Draw a line between point P to line R. We get a triangle and a parallelogram.
Triangle has a base of a/2 and height of a. Area of triangle is (a^2)/4
Parallelogram has a base of a and a height of a/2. Area of parallelogram is (a^2)/2
combine triangle and parallelogram we get (3a^2)/4
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 1

Re: Trapezoid OPQR has one vertex at the origin. What is the ar [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2018, 23:56
This post received
KUDOS
just take the area of two triangle above and below trapezoid and subtract it from area of whole square

(area of whole square) 2a^2 - (area of triangle above trapezoid) a^2/4 - (are of triangle below trapezoid) a^2

2a^2 - a^2/4 - a^2 = 3a^2/4

IlCreatore wrote:

Any hint?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 33

Re: Trapezoid OPQR has one vertex at the origin. What is the ar [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2018, 04:13
How to get the area of the above triangle though? I don't know OP and therefore don't know the height.

achirarulz wrote:
just take the area of two triangle above and below trapezoid and subtract it from area of whole square

(area of whole square) 2a^2 - (area of triangle above trapezoid) a^2/4 - (are of triangle below trapezoid) a^2

IlCreatore wrote:

Any hint?
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 1

Re: Trapezoid OPQR has one vertex at the origin. What is the ar [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2018, 10:48
This post received
KUDOS

gremather wrote:
How to get the area of the above triangle though? I don't know OP and therefore don't know the height.

achirarulz wrote:

IlCreatore wrote:

Any hint?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 100

Re: Trapezoid OPQR has one vertex at the origin. What is the ar [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2018, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
achirarulz wrote:

IlCreatore wrote:

Any hint?

It's not square!

(area of whole rectangle) 2a^2 - (area of triangle above trapezoid) a^2/4 - (are of triangle below trapezoid) a^2

Re: Trapezoid OPQR has one vertex at the origin. What is the ar   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2018, 11:59

Trapezoid OPQR has one vertex at the origin. What is the ar

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact