It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 05:19
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Although the schooling of fish is familiar form of animal so

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 466 [1] , given: 83

CAT Tests
Although the schooling of fish is familiar form of animal so [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2018, 01:28
This post received
KUDOS
00:00

Question Stats:

60% (02:56) correct 40% (02:49) wrong based on 15 sessions
Although the schooling of fish is familiar form of animal social behaviour, how the
school is formed and maintained is only beginning to be understood in detail. It had
been thought that each fish maintains its position chiefly by means of vision. Our
work as shown that, as each fish maintains its position, the lateral line, an organ
sensitive to transitory changes in water displacement, is as important as vision. In
each species a fish has a “preferred” distance and dangle from its nearest neighbor.
The ideal separation and bearing, however, are not maintained rigidly. The result is a
probabilistic arrangement that appears like a random aggregation. The tendency of
the fish to remain at the preferred distance and angle, however, serves to maintain
the structure. Each fish, having established its position, uses its eyes and its lateral
lines simultaneously to measure the speed of all the other fish in the school. It then
adjusts its own speed to match a weighted average that emphasizes the contribution
of nearby fish.
1.According to the passage, the structure of a fish school is dependent upon which of
the following.
I. Rigidly formed random aggregations
II. The tendency of each fish to remain at a preferred distance from neighboring
fish
III.Measurement of a weighed average by individual fish
A. II only
B. III only
C. I and II only
D. I and III only
E. II and III only
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

2.Which of the following best describes the author’s attitude toward the theory that the
structure of fish schools is maintained primarily through vision?
A. Heated opposition
B. Careful neutrality
C. Considered dissatisfaction
D. Cautious approval
E. Unqualified enthusiasm
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

3. The passage suggests that, after establishing its position in the school formation, an
individual fish will subsequently
A. Maintain its preferred position primarily by visual and auditory means
B. Rigorously avoid changes that would interfere with the overall structure of the
school
C. Make conscious sensory readjustments to its position within the school
D. Make unexpected shifts in position only if threatened by external danger
E. Surrender its ability to make quick, instinctive judgments
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 11

Re: Although the schooling of fish is familiar form of animal so [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2018, 03:43
This post received
KUDOS
amorphous wrote:
Although the schooling of fish is familiar form of animal social behaviour, how the
school is formed and maintained is only beginning to be understood in detail. It had
been thought that each fish maintains its position chiefly by means of vision. Our
work as shown that, as each fish maintains its position, the lateral line, an organ
sensitive to transitory changes in water displacement, is as important as vision. In
each species a fish has a “preferred” distance and dangle from its nearest neighbor.
The ideal separation and bearing, however, are not maintained rigidly. The result is a
probabilistic arrangement that appears like a random aggregation. The tendency of
the fish to remain at the preferred distance and angle, however, serves to maintain
the structure. Each fish, having established its position, uses its eyes and its lateral
lines simultaneously to measure the speed of all the other fish in the school. It then
adjusts its own speed to match a weighted average that emphasizes the contribution
of nearby fish.
1.According to the passage, the structure of a fish school is dependent upon which of
the following.
I. Rigidly formed random aggregations
II. The tendency of each fish to remain at a preferred distance from neighboring
fish
III.Measurement of a weighed average by individual fish
A. II only
B. III only
C. I and II only
D. I and III only
E. II and III only
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

2.Which of the following best describes the author’s attitude toward the theory that the
structure of fish schools is maintained primarily through vision?
A. Heated opposition
B. Careful neutrality
C. Considered dissatisfaction
D. Cautious approval
E. Unqualified enthusiasm
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

3. The passage suggests that, after establishing its position in the school formation, an
individual fish will subsequently
A. Maintain its preferred position primarily by visual and auditory means
B. Rigorously avoid changes that would interfere with the overall structure of the
school
C. Make conscious sensory readjustments to its position within the school
D. Make unexpected shifts in position only if threatened by external danger
E. Surrender its ability to make quick, instinctive judgments
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Why answer to 2nd ques is C and not B? Author has agreed that the lateral lines are as important as vision, then it means he has accepted the theory and provided extra evidence, modifying the first one in place. Please provide explanation from which it can be inferred that he was dissatisfied (somehow it means that he didn't accept the theory or was not content).
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 466 [1] , given: 83

CAT Tests
Re: Although the schooling of fish is familiar form of animal so [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2018, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
"Although the schooling of fish is familiar form of animal social behaviour, how the
sensitive to transitory changes in water displacement, is as important as vision."

This part of the passage gives enough information for choosing option C. Previously only vision was considered as important but now it has been understood that lateral line is as important as vision. Hence there is a bit of dissatisfaction for not grasping the real truth in the first place. Neutrality on the other hand means lack of bias. There is nothing to suggest that the author is neutral towards the structure of the fish schooling maintained through vision.

This is my response to the question and may be incorrect. Feel free to rectify any mistakes

Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 980 [0], given: 4506

CAT Tests
Re: Although the schooling of fish is familiar form of animal so [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2018, 08:48
Expert's post
Honestly, I would pick B as well.

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Re: Although the schooling of fish is familiar form of animal so [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2018, 21:28
Carcass wrote:
Honestly, I would pick B as well.

Regards

Do you think C is incorrect too? Is there any way to check it?
Re: Although the schooling of fish is familiar form of animal so   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2018, 21:28

Although the schooling of fish is familiar form of animal so

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact