It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 01:07
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

During the opera’s most famous aria, the tempo

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 64

During the opera’s most famous aria, the tempo [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2016, 23:51
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

69% (00:30) correct 30% (00:47) wrong based on 156 sessions
During the opera’s most famous aria, the tempo chosen by the orchestra’s conductor seemed __________, without necessary relation to what had gone before.

A arbitrary
B capricious
C cautious
D compelling
E exacting
F meticulous

Practice Questions
Question: 24
Page: 380
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

Director
Director
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 64

Re: During the opera’s most famous aria, the tempo [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2016, 23:52
Expert's post

Explanation

Any of the offered words could possibly describe a conductor’s choice of tempo. However, the phrase “without necessary relation to what had gone before” is presented as
an elaboration on the word in the blank. Among the answer choices, only “arbitrary” and “capricious” could be elaborated that way; none of the other choices would be
explained by the final phrase.
Thus, the correct answer is arbitrary (Choice A) and capricious (Choice B).

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 2

Re: During the opera’s most famous aria, the tempo [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2019, 06:51
During the opera’s most famous aria, the tempo chosen by the orchestra’s conductor seemed __________, without necessary relation to what had gone before.

The tempo chosen by the orchestra's conductor seemed something. The word for the blank would describe the tempo chosen by the conductor. And the description for the blank is presented after the blank - "without necessary relation to what had gone before". The word is capricious.

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos

GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: During the opera’s most famous aria, the tempo [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2019, 09:54
HarishKumar wrote:

The tempo chosen by the orchestra's conductor seemed something. The word for the blank would describe the tempo chosen by the conductor. And the description for the blank is presented after the blank - "without necessary relation to what had gone before". The word is capricious.

Without necessary....implies unique or something positive should come, hence I thought capricious and arbitrary can never be the correct answers, however they are. Please advise
Founder
Founder
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 3003 [0], given: 11265

CAT Tests
Re: During the opera’s most famous aria, the tempo [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2019, 23:13
Expert's post
I do think you applied the positive / negative strategy. However, this is a good strategy and really powerful but cannot be unrelated to the meaning of the sentence as a whole

During the opera’s most famous aria,

Basically means during the concert

the tempo chosen by the orchestra’s conductor seemed

the pace chosen by the director was weir, at glance, it was not in accordance with the orchestra itself tempo. I.E the director was doing one thing and the orchestra another. They were not united

__________, without necessary relation to what had gone before.

This confirms our prediction. The only word that fits the bill is arbitrary, which means the behavior was withour following any coherent rule. B is the synonym word.

I hope now is more clear to you.

Regards

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: During the opera’s most famous aria, the tempo [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2019, 21:55
A,B
GRE Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: During the opera’s most famous aria, the tempo [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2019, 03:40
"without necessary relation to what had gone before." --> denotes incoherence
A,B --> similar to incoherence

Rest 4 choices pointing to the positive side, which is not the right contextual demand of the word.

Hence, AB is the Answer.
Re: During the opera’s most famous aria, the tempo   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2019, 03:40

During the opera’s most famous aria, the tempo

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact