It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 20:55
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

The sum of the multiples of 4 less than 100 or The sum of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 20 May 2014
Posts: 282
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 220

CAT Tests
The sum of the multiples of 4 less than 100 or The sum of [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2017, 06:14
00:00

Question Stats:

56% (01:17) correct 43% (01:14) wrong based on 32 sessions
Quantity A
Quantity B
The sum of the multiples of 4 less than 100
The sum of the multiples of 5 less than 100


(A) The quantity in Column A is greater
(B) The quantity in Column B is greater
(C) The two quantities are equal
(D) The relationship cannot be determined from the information given


Kudos for correct solution.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Joined: 03 Sep 2017
Posts: 521
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 330 [2] , given: 66

Re: The sum of the multiples of 4 less than 100 or The sum of [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2017, 08:48
2
This post received
KUDOS
We can proceed by steps:

1) number of elements in the two sets: we have to take the first and the last multiple, then compute last - first, divide by the number whose multiples are of interest and sum 1. In our case, in column A, we have \(\frac{100-4}{4}+1 = 25\), while for column B we get \(\frac{100-5}{5}+1 = 20\).

2) Compute the sum. The formula for the sum of an arithmetic progression is \(sum = \frac{n}{2}(first+last)\), where n is the number of elements in the progression and first and last are the first and the last elements. Thus, for column A, \(\frac{25}{2}(4+100) = 1300\), while column B equates \(\frac{20}{2}(5+100) = 1050\).

We conclude that A is greater!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 15 May 2018
Posts: 39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: The sum of the multiples of 4 less than 100 or The sum of [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2018, 18:48
Bunuel wrote:
Quantity A
Quantity B
The sum of the multiples of 4 less than 100
The sum of the multiples of 5 less than 100


(A) The quantity in Column A is greater
(B) The quantity in Column B is greater
(C) The two quantities are equal
(D) The relationship cannot be determined from the information given


Kudos for correct solution.

My Answer is A
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 04 May 2017
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: The sum of the multiples of 4 less than 100 or The sum of [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2018, 08:19
Sum of multiples of 4 = 4(1+2+..+25)=4*(25+1)*25/2=50*26

Sum of multiples of 5 = 5(1+2+..+20)=5*(1+20)*20/2=50*21

-> QA > QB -> A.
_________________

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Manager
Manager
Joined: 27 Feb 2017
Posts: 180
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 15

CAT Tests
Re: The sum of the multiples of 4 less than 100 or The sum of [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2018, 15:33
IlCreatore wrote:
We can proceed by steps:

1) number of elements in the two sets: we have to take the first and the last multiple, then compute last - first, divide by the number whose multiples are of interest and sum 1. In our case, in column A, we have \(\frac{100-4}{4}+1 = 25\), while for column B we get \(\frac{100-5}{5}+1 = 20\).

2) Compute the sum. The formula for the sum of an arithmetic progression is \(sum = \frac{n}{2}(first+last)\), where n is the number of elements in the progression and first and last are the first and the last elements. Thus, for column A, \(\frac{25}{2}(4+100) = 1300\), while column B equates \(\frac{20}{2}(5+100) = 1050\).

We conclude that A is greater!


Hi, for step 1, is there a simplified formula that is easier to remember for exam?
Also, it says less that 100, so shouldnt we consider multiples less than 100? Like is 100 still included?

And thanks for the explanation btw
Intern
Intern
Joined: 06 Jul 2018
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: The sum of the multiples of 4 less than 100 or The sum of [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2018, 00:53
it should be given that multiples are of what kind...positive or negative,and inclusive or exclusive....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2014
Posts: 4749
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1659 [0], given: 396

CAT Tests
Re: The sum of the multiples of 4 less than 100 or The sum of [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2018, 05:19
Expert's post
ragini123 wrote:
it should be given that multiples are of what kind...positive or negative,and inclusive or exclusive....


Multiples are always considered as positive unless explicitly mentioned.

Less than 100 means that 100 should not be considered for calculation in this case.
_________________

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Re: The sum of the multiples of 4 less than 100 or The sum of   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2018, 05:19
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The sum of the multiples of 4 less than 100 or The sum of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Kindly note that the GRE® test is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by ETS®.