It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 18:41
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

The standard deviation of the set 1, 5, 7, 19

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 1596 [3] , given: 373

CAT Tests
The standard deviation of the set 1, 5, 7, 19 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2016, 16:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

80% (00:23) correct 20% (00:30) wrong based on 15 sessions
Quantity A
Quantity B
The standard deviation of the set 0, 5, 7, 20

A)The quantity in Column A is greater.
B)The quantity in Column B is greater.
C)The two quantities are equal.
D)The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 108 [2] , given: 15

Re: The standard deviation of the set 1, 5, 7, 19 [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2016, 21:05
This post received
KUDOS
Both sets have same mean, but second set has more dispersion from the mean, hence SD of the second set will be more. hence B
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 327 [1] , given: 66

Re: The standard deviation of the set 1, 5, 7, 19 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2017, 06:14
This post received
KUDOS
Just to be a little more formal I provide my solution.

Since the two groups have the same mean (= 10), we can get rid of the common numbers on the two lists, i.e. 5 and 7, since they would provide the same difference from the mean for the two columns. Then, we are left with 1 and 19 on column A and 0 and 20 on column B.

Instead of using the real standard deviation formula, we can get an idea using an approximate formula that is computed as the mean of the differences of the numbers from the mean. Thus, in column A we get 9+9/2 = 9 and on column B, 10+10/2 = 10. Thus, the standard deviation is higher in column B.

Answer B!
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 492 [0], given: 86

CAT Tests
Re: The standard deviation of the set 1, 5, 7, 19 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2017, 07:36
IlCreatore wrote:

Since the two groups have the same mean (= 10), we can get rid of the common numbers on the two lists, i.e. 5 and 7, since they would provide the same difference from the mean for the two columns. Then, we are left with 1 and 19 on column A and 0 and 20 on column B.

Instead of using the real standard deviation formula, we can get an idea using an approximate formula that is computed as the mean of the differences of the numbers from the mean. Thus, in column A we get 9+9/2 = 9 and on column B, 10+10/2 = 10. Thus, the standard deviation is higher in column B.

Answer B!

COuld you plz explain, i failed to understand

1. how you got the mean of setA = mean of set B = 10?

2. 9+9/2 = 9? how we get?

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 66

Re: The standard deviation of the set 1, 5, 7, 19 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2017, 07:47
pranab01 wrote:
IlCreatore wrote:

Answer B!

The results are that because I got rid of the numbers who are equal in the two columns, i.e. 5 and 7. In that way we get that the mean is 1+19/2 = 10 and 0+20/2 = 10. Than the sd are (10-1)+(19-10)/2 = 9 and (10-0)(20-10)/2 = 10. This is kind of an approximation that is faster to compute.

However, you could have worked with the two full list as well. Getting the same mean of 8 for the two lists and sd = 5.5. for quantity A and sd = 6 for quantity B. Leading to the same answer, B!
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 492 [0], given: 86

CAT Tests
Re: The standard deviation of the set 1, 5, 7, 19 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2017, 08:59
IlCreatore wrote:
pranab01 wrote:
IlCreatore wrote:

Answer B!

The results are that because I got rid of the numbers who are equal in the two columns, i.e. 5 and 7. In that way we get that the mean is 1+19/2 = 10 and 0+20/2 = 10. Than the sd are (10-1)+(19-10)/2 = 9 and (10-0)(20-10)/2 = 10. This is kind of an approximation that is faster to compute.

However, you could have worked with the two full list as well. Getting the same mean of 8 for the two lists and sd = 5.5. for quantity A and sd = 6 for quantity B. Leading to the same answer, B!

From where have you got the formula for SD : Im not sure of that formula

Secondly if we look at both qty's

we can see that the smaller number in qty B < qty A and bigger number in qty B> qty A.

So definitely QTY B is more spread out than QTY A. and so the option is B

Re: The standard deviation of the set 1, 5, 7, 19   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2017, 08:59

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact