It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 05:30
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

The playwright's approach is (i) create drama on the stage.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1041 [0], given: 4683

CAT Tests
The playwright's approach is (i) create drama on the stage. [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2017, 03:33
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

30% (00:28) correct 69% (00:39) wrong based on 94 sessions

The playwright's approach is (i) ___________ in that her works (ii) ___________ the theatrical devices normally used to create drama on the stage.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)
(A) pedestrian (D) jettison
(B) startling (E) experiment with
(C) celebrated (F) distill
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Last edited by Carcass on 10 Aug 2018, 14:47, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: The playwright's approach is (i) create drama on the stage. [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2017, 06:25
This post received
KUDOS
can you explain the sentence? Its too abstruse for my understanding. thanks

CAT Tests
Re: The playwright's approach is (i) create drama on the stage. [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2017, 10:09
Expert's post
shikha0611 wrote:
can you explain the sentence? It's too abstruse for my understanding. thanks

The playwright's approach is just surprising because it does not follow jotting a common path, creating the drama on stage.

I.E: she follows NOT common ways to create a drama. Therefore, the drama itself is astonishing to the spectator.

Hope this helps

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 16

Re: The playwright's approach is (i) create drama on the stage. [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2018, 06:19
Please re-check the question. It is incomplete.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 235

Re: The playwright's approach is (i) create drama on the stage. [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2018, 19:43
This post received
KUDOS
The question should have been this:

The playwright’s approach is (i)_________ in that her works (ii)_________ the theatrical devices normally used to create drama on the stage.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: The playwright's approach is (i) create drama on the stage. [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2018, 08:27
why not "E: experiment with" for the second blank?

CAT Tests
Re: The playwright's approach is (i) create drama on the stage. [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2018, 02:26
Expert's post
The used approach is to completely overhaul the past drama, embracing new experimental paths.

So you are not going to experiment with anything here: when you experiment something you search new avenue but based on the old ones, to search for new results.

Here, instead, there is a jotting of the old for the new.

Hope this hleps

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The playwright's approach is (i) create drama on the stage. [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2018, 17:42
I keep flunking the PowerPrep problems :cry:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 15

CAT Tests
Re: The playwright's approach is (i) create drama on the stage. [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2018, 14:23
Shouldn't the first blank be 'pedestrian', ie. unimagnative or tasteless, because she does not follow the normal route of drama on stage. Why is it 'startling'?

CAT Tests
Re: The playwright's approach is (i) create drama on the stage. [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2018, 16:03
Expert's post
Her work is just amazing (startling) just because she throws away (jettison) the old conventional rules.

Hope this helps.

Regards

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 28 [4] , given: 2

Re: The playwright's approach is (i) create drama on the stage. [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2018, 16:10
This post received
KUDOS
B D

The two keys to the sentence is the phrase IN THAT and word NORMALLY. The best way to go about this is to figure out which 2 words make sense for the sentence and then comparing them. Celebrated, while possible, is not something the rest of the sentence would be able to confirm. Since the sentence says "in that," you know that the first part of the sentence must be confirmed by the second part of the sentence. With nothing in the second blank able to confirm C. celebrated, you can cross that out as a possible answer. Now you have A. Pedestrian and B. Startling. Pedestrian, most closely meaning dull or cliche...run-of-the-mill..., is also unable to be explained by "distilled" and "experimented with" as distilled doesn't really fit and "to experiment" would not lead to people saying you were being dull or cliche. Jettison doesn't make sense after pedestrian either. Therefore we have now determined the first word must be B. Startling.

So, is there a way that D E or F can explain why her approach would be considered startling? This is where "normally" comes in again. Normally, playwrights do __, so if they don't do __, then that would be startling or surprising. Jettison means "to throw shoot or remove." Here is how you would then read the sentence: "The playwright's approach is startling/surprising in that her works throw away/don't use the theatrical devices normally used to create drama on the stage." This makes sense, thus, the answer is B&D.
Re: The playwright's approach is (i) create drama on the stage.   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2018, 16:10

The playwright's approach is (i) create drama on the stage.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact