It is currently 16 Feb 2020, 21:59
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

The old man could not have been accused of ________ his affe

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
The old man could not have been accused of ________ his affe [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2020, 23:29
00:00

Question Stats:

60% (00:25) correct 40% (01:35) wrong based on 5 sessions
The old man could not have been accused of ________ his affection; his conduct toward the child betrayed his ________ her.
(A) lavishing .. fondness for
(B) sparing .. tolerance of
(C) rationing .. antipathy for
(D) stinting .. adoration of
(E) promising .. dislike. of

Can someone explain the meaning of this sentence? I understood as the following (not knowing whether it's the right way of understanding it) the old man didn't provide enough care for the child and his conduct showed this. It would be tremendously helpful for me because I encountered this confusion problem quite a lot.

Thank you,
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The old man could not have been accused of ________ his affe [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2020, 05:56
Is the answer E?
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 35

CAT Tests
Re: The old man could not have been accused of ________ his affe [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2020, 06:50
SoniaGhongadi wrote:
Is the answer E?

The answer should be D.
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 127 [1] , given: 35

CAT Tests
Re: The old man could not have been accused of ________ his affe [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2020, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
mind wrote:
The old man could not have been accused of ________ his affection; his conduct toward the child betrayed his ________ her.
(A) lavishing .. fondness for
(B) sparing .. tolerance of
(C) rationing .. antipathy for
(D) stinting .. adoration of
(E) promising .. dislike. of

Can someone explain the meaning of this sentence? I understood as the following (not knowing whether it's the right way of understanding it) the old man didn't provide enough care for the child and his conduct showed this. It would be tremendously helpful for me because I encountered this confusion problem quite a lot.

Thank you,

Please read the rules of the forum before posting any questions.

This means that the old man can not be accused of _____ affection, because his actual conduct towards the child has revealed his _____ of her.

The old man is actually hiding his true emotions, but his true feelings are exposed by the way he treats the child.
So we are looking for the blanks to have opposite meanings in the context. Only D and E do this job. However, you can't be accused of promising affection, but you can be accused of hiding or sparing your effection. Like you can accuse your parents of being so strict and not loving you at all times. In this sentence, the old man treats the child very kindly, so he has an adoration for the child.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: The old man could not have been accused of ________ his affe [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2020, 09:38
Thank you theBrahmaTiger, your answer clears my confusion
Re: The old man could not have been accused of ________ his affe   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2020, 09:38

The old man could not have been accused of ________ his affe

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact