It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 07:50
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

The__________ nature of the room was considered extraordinar

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 15

The__________ nature of the room was considered extraordinar [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 19:30
This post received
KUDOS
00:00

Question Stats:

50% (00:08) correct 50% (00:17) wrong based on 6 sessions
Select the two answer choices that, when used to complete the sentence, fit the meaning of the sentence as a whole and produce completed sentences that are alike in meaning.

The__________ nature of the room was considered extraordinary by everyone, even Tamika who realized she was cleaning her own apartment at increasingly irregular intervals.

(a) inscrutable
(b) purified
(c) sanitized
(d) squalid
(e) transient
(f) sullied

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
D,F
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 439 [4] , given: 64

Re: Sentence Equivalence#Q5 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 22:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is a tricky one. :clap:
You have to understand the underlying logic of the sentence which is very crucial wrt solving the problem. Do not go plugging into the answer choices in these kind of Sentence Equivalence questions regardless of how good your vocabulary is. In these cases it will always be suicidal. :stab
The clue lies in the part "even Tamika who realized.......". The question you should ask is "What made even Tamika(who cleans her apartment quite irregularly thus implying it is quite dirty) consider the extraordinary nature of the room?" Is it the cleanliness of the room or the opposite? It is quite clear that Tamika who cleans her room irregularly will always find a clean room extraordinary. But the key word "even" shifted the entire meaning of the sentence. Thus the room must be so so dirty that even someone who is accustomed to living unclean finds it extraordinary.

So now we know we have to look for synonyms of "Dirty". So the answer choices are d) Squalid & f) Sullied.

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

Re: Sentence Equivalence#Q5   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2014, 22:49

The__________ nature of the room was considered extraordinar

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact