It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 18:48
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

The narratives that vanquished peoples have created of their

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 965 [0], given: 4466

CAT Tests
The narratives that vanquished peoples have created of their [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2018, 17:35
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

35% (00:32) correct 64% (00:49) wrong based on 31 sessions
The narratives that vanquished peoples have created of their defeat have, according to Schivelbusch, fallen into several identifiable types. In one of these, the vanquished manage to (i) _______ the victor’s triumph as the result of some spurious advantage, the victors being truly inferior where it counts. Often the winners (ii) ________ this interpretation, worrying about the cultural or moral costs of their triumph and so giving some credence to the losers’ story.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)
(A) construe (D) take issue with
(B) anoint (E) disregard
(C) acknowledge(F) collude
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 965 [0], given: 4466

CAT Tests
Re: The narratives that vanquished peoples have created of their [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2018, 18:21
Expert's post
Explanation

In this sentence you should very carefully for several reasons: it is a long sentence and from the beginning to the end you could get lost and go out of balance.

The narrative which means the stories of the defeated could be clustered into few segments. Here we have to stay on the lookout, something is incoming and you necessarily cope with: around the "legends" on the defeated one of these is centered on the fact that the same defeated are not conquered because they do not have a possible strategy, the army is not well organized and so on but because the lucky of the winners. As such, here we need a word that says more or less this concept, showed up in the second sentence. Start from the word you are more familiar with: acknowledge means recognize it as genuine or valid. I do not think here is a question of say thank you to someone, in a few words. Anoint honestly I do not know what this word means but is suspicious. Keep for now. Construe is even more unfamiliar but it reminds me of interpreting something, like trying to understand the big picture of something. This is much better and indeed, in fact, is the correct answer. Pretty tough question til now.

Now, the third sentence creates a shift in the overall economy of the entire sentence structure. The winners give some credence to this, which means the winners themselves say that is true, even to some extent what we are saying til now. So, disregard which means ignore cannot be the right solution for the second blank. The same identical reasoning could be applied to take issue with . Thsi word in a similar fashion of disregard goes in the same direction. But we need a word that shows how the winner in somehow agrees with the defeated. Collude in is the last resource we do have but, actually, is the right answer. Indeed, if the winners are giving the loser’s story credibility in order to keep them happy, then we might say that they are “colluding.”

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Re: The narratives that vanquished peoples have created of their   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2018, 18:21

The narratives that vanquished peoples have created of their

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact