It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 04:18
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

The lengths of a certain population of earthworms are normal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 1613 [0], given: 375

CAT Tests
The lengths of a certain population of earthworms are normal [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2018, 16:30
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

66% (01:11) correct 33% (00:31) wrong based on 6 sessions
The lengths of a certain population of earthworms are normally distributed with a mean length of 30 centimeters and a standard deviation of 3 centimeters. One of the worms is picked at random.

Quantity A
Quantity B
The probability that the worm is between 24 and 30 centimeters, inclusive
The probability that the worm is between 27 and 33 centimeters, inclusive

A) Quantity A is greater.
B) Quantity B is greater.
C) The two quantities are equal.
D) The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 465 [0], given: 82

Re: The lengths of a certain population of earthworms are normal [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2018, 19:16
Mean = 30
SD = 3
Hence 1 SD below the mean = 27
and 2 SD below the mean = 24
Therefore for normal distribution the% of date at the given range will be 13.5 + 34 = 47.5

While for qtyB the % of data at the given range will be 1 SD above and 1 SD below the mean = 68

Posted from my mobile device Image

This is my response to the question and may be incorrect. Feel free to rectify any mistakes

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 1613 [0], given: 375

CAT Tests
Re: The lengths of a certain population of earthworms are normal [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2018, 16:22
Expert's post
Explanation

Normal distributions are always centered on and symmetrical around the mean, so the chance that the worm’s length will be within a certain 6-centimeter range (or any specific range) is highest when that range is centered on the mean, which in this case is 30 centimeters.

More specifically, Quantity A equals the area between –2 standard deviations and the mean of the distribution. In a normal distribution, roughly 34 + 34 + 14 + 14 = 96% of the sample will fall within 2 standard deviations above or below the mean. Limit yourself only to the 2 standard deviations below the mean, then half of that, or 96%÷2 = 48%, falls in this range. In contrast, Quantity B equals the area between –1 standard deviation and +1 standard deviation. In a normal distribution, roughly 34 + 34 = 68% of the sample falls within 1 standard deviation above or below the mean. Since 68% is greater than 48%, Quantity B is greater.

Note that exact figures are not required to answer this question! Picture any bell curve—the area under the “hump” (that is, centered around the middle) is bigger! Thus, it has more members of the dataset (in this case, worms) in it.

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Re: The lengths of a certain population of earthworms are normal   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2018, 16:22

The lengths of a certain population of earthworms are normal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact