It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 19:50
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

The (i)___________ of the old man’s garb and home belied

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 5

The (i)___________ of the old man’s garb and home belied [#permalink] New post 01 May 2018, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
00:00

Question Stats:

25% (00:35) correct 75% (01:06) wrong based on 24 sessions
The (i)___________ of the old man’s garb and home belied a (ii)___________ nature, and many people lamented his tendency to be outright juvenile in somber circumstances.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)
(A) austerity (D) jovial
(B) obsolescence (E) jejune
(C) poverty (F) inquisitive
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Carcass on 01 May 2018, 08:20, edited 2 times in total.
Edited by Carcass
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

Re: The (i)___________ of the old man’s garb and home belied [#permalink] New post 01 May 2018, 07:36
OE by Kaplan
The only contextual clues occur after the comma. The old man is sometimes inappropriately “juvenile,” so let’s start with the second blank, which describes his “nature.” A good prediction would be “childish.” Choice (E) jejune, “childish” or “immature,” matches this prediction precisely and is thus correct. Choice (D) jovial, which means “happy” or “jolly,” is incorrect because it connotes happiness, not immaturity. Choice (F) inquisitive, or “curious,” might describe a trait associated with children, but it does not explicitly mean “childish,” so we can eliminate it.

For the first blank, we now know that the old man’s clothes and furnishings contrast with his immature nature, and so we can predict an answer that means “maturity” or “seriousness.” Choice (A) austerity, meaning “somberness,” matches our prediction and is the correct response. Choice (B) obsolescence, meaning “the quality of being outdated or “old-fashioned,” might be tempting because of the man’s age, but it does not provide a strong enough contrast to the man’s immature behavior, so (B) can be rejected. Choice (C) poverty does not provide a contrast with the man’s immature nature and thus is also incorrect.
Choices (i) austerity and (ii) jejune are our correct answers.
Re: The (i)___________ of the old man’s garb and home belied   [#permalink] 01 May 2018, 07:36

The (i)___________ of the old man’s garb and home belied

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact