It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 11:48
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

The (i) _____ nature of classical tragedy in Athens

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 1027 [1] , given: 4631

CAT Tests
The (i) _____ nature of classical tragedy in Athens [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2017, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

47% (00:44) correct 52% (00:40) wrong based on 19 sessions

The (i) _____ nature of classical tragedy in Athens belies the modern image of tragedy: in modern view tragedy is austere and stripped down, its representation of ideological and emotional conflicts so superbly compressed that there is nothing (ii) __________ for time to erode.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)
(A) unadorned (D) inalienable
(B) harmonious (E) exigent
(C) multifaceted (F) extraneous
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 71

Re: The (i) _____ nature of classical tragedy in Athens [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2017, 16:58
This post received
KUDOS
Is it A and D?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: The (i) _____ nature of classical tragedy in Athens [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2017, 16:59
This post received
KUDOS
Carcass wrote:

The (i) _____ nature of classical tragedy in Athens belies the modern image of tragedy: in modern view tragedy is austere and stripped down, its rappresentation of ideological and emotional conflicts so superbely compressed that there is nothing (ii) __________ for time to erode.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)
(A) unadorned (D) inalienable
(B) harmonious (E) exigent
(C) multifaceted (F) extraneous

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C and F

May I get an explanation?
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 1027 [0], given: 4631

CAT Tests
Re: The (i) _____ nature of classical tragedy in Athens [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2017, 02:52
Expert's post
Sorry guys,

along with the questions from PowerPrep there is always an official explanation. Only the time to elaborate it. Thank you for your patience.

Back to the question

Unadorned: to decorate or add beauty to, as by ornaments
harmonious: marked by agreement in feeling, attitude, or action
multifaceted: having many facets, as a gem
inalienable: not transferable to another or capable of being repudiated
exigent: requiring immediate action or aid; urgent; pressing
extraneous: introduced or coming from without; not belonging or proper to a thing; foreign

As you can see from the meaning of the words above, the only two that fit into the question are C and F

In a nutshell: the nature of Athens tragedy to our modern view is multifaced. However, in its real core it was sooo consistent and solid that the tragedy itself endure the time unfolding, during the centuries. In conclusion, the same importance of tragedy, its caliber, its influence to the generation ahead is unassailable, absolute, unequivocal.

Hope this helps. Ask if something is unclear to you.

PS: as yu can see, a GRE question is really subtle in its meaning.

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: The (i) _____ nature of classical tragedy in Athens [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2017, 09:53
This post received
KUDOS
Carcass wrote:
Sorry guys,

along with the questions from PowerPrep there is always an official explanation. Only the time to elaborate it. Thank you for your patience.

Back to the question

Unadorned: to decorate or add beauty to, as by ornaments
harmonious: marked by agreement in feeling, attitude, or action
multifaceted: having many facets, as a gem
inalienable: not transferable to another or capable of being repudiated
exigent: requiring immediate action or aid; urgent; pressing
extraneous: introduced or coming from without; not belonging or proper to a thing; foreign

As you can see from the meaning of the words above, the only two that fit into the question are C and F

In a nutshell: the nature of Athens tragedy to our modern view is multifaced. However, in its real core it was sooo consistent and solid that the tragedy itself endure the time unfolding, during the centuries. In conclusion, the same importance of tragedy, its caliber, its influence to the generation ahead is unassailable, absolute, unequivocal.

Hope this helps. Ask if something is unclear to you.

PS: as yu can see, a GRE question is really subtle in its meaning.

Thank you!
Re: The (i) _____ nature of classical tragedy in Athens   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2017, 09:53

The (i) _____ nature of classical tragedy in Athens

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact