It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 12:40
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

The grave accusations made by the plaintiff were almost

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 1612 [1] , given: 375

CAT Tests
The grave accusations made by the plaintiff were almost [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2017, 14:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

28% (00:11) correct 71% (00:55) wrong based on 14 sessions

The grave accusations made by the plaintiff were almost entirely _____(i)_____ the testimony of two witnesses. Therefore, when the court _____(ii)_____ the credentials of those witnesses, the plaintiff’s case disintegrated, and the relevant claims were shown to be _____(iii)_____.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
(A) subservient to (D) vindicated (G) facetious
(B) isolated from (E) repudiated(H) unerring
(C)dependent on (F) debated(I) specious

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C, E, and I
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 1612 [0], given: 375

CAT Tests
Re: The grave accusations made by the plaintiff were almost [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2017, 16:22
Expert's post
Explanation

Start with the last blank because it is the easiest. The clue tells you that the plaintiff’s case disintegrated. Therefore, the claims must have been shown to be false. Facetious, though somewhat negative, does not mean false but does not go far enough. Unerring goes in the
opposite direction. Specious is the best match. The first blank is the easiest one to attempt next. The case fell apart when something happened to the witnesses’ credentials, so a goodphrase for the first blank—which described the role of the witnesses in the plaintiff’s case—is “based on.” Dependent on is the only match.

If the plaintiff’s claims were based on the witnesses, and the case fell apart, logically the witnesses must have been discredited somehow.

A good word for the second blank—which describes what the court decided about the witnesses’ credentials—is denied. Vindicated goes in the opposite direction. Repudiated is the best match.

Hence options C, E and I are correct!

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Re: The grave accusations made by the plaintiff were almost   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2017, 16:22

The grave accusations made by the plaintiff were almost

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact