It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 18:50
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

The demands of notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's rece

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1033 [0], given: 4655

CAT Tests
The demands of notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's rece [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2017, 16:08
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

28% (00:40) correct 71% (01:10) wrong based on 70 sessions

The demands of ________ notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's recent book on democracy that considered what public-choice economics has to say about "democratic failure" —or at least a clear signpost to that literature—would have been very well spent.

❑ clarity

❑ brevity

❑ comprehensiveness

❑ economy

❑ cogency

❑ thoroughness

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B and D

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

CAT Tests
Re: The demands of notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's rece [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2017, 01:46
Expert's post
Explanation

The request , indeed, is that the book should have by the author one or two pages to clarify the whole argument, in brief. It was advisable.

Brevity and economy in the sense of shortness are the answers.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The demands of notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's rece [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2017, 21:39
Why not B & C?
Brivity and comprehensive is better pair

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: Q142 V146
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 99

Re: The demands of notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's rece [#permalink] New post 26 May 2018, 05:36
Damn, this one went a bouncer. If only the moderators be economical to edify the doubt..

CAT Tests
Re: The demands of notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's rece [#permalink] New post 28 May 2018, 15:40
Expert's post
This is a super tough question to grasp. Just only the very first part of the sentence, before the comma, put you out of balance And with a very good reason.

Actually, the meaning is this: even though the needs of the author of the book of being concise, the necessity of being short and get down to the business in his book, the author himself could spend some few page more on this important economic concept (whatever the concept is).

Aski for further assistance if you do need.

Regards

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Re: The demands of notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's rece [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2018, 23:56
Carcass wrote:
This is a super tough question to grasp. Just only the very first part of the sentence, before the comma, put you out of balance And with a very good reason.

Actually, the meaning is this: even though the needs of the author of the book of being concise, the necessity of being short and get down to the business in his book, the author himself could spend some few page more on this important economic concept (whatever the concept is).

Regards

Can you please help me understand it better? I tried several times, but with no luck. Can you please tell me the clue from which you got 'conciseness' for the blank?
3 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 1033 [3] , given: 4655

CAT Tests
Re: The demands of notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's rece [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2018, 02:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The demands of brevity notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's recent book on democracy that considered what public-choice economics has to say about "democratic failure" —or at least a clear signpost to that literature—would have been very well spent.

Even though the author of the book had the needs of brevity, explaining an important concept, one or two pages MORE could be spent to shed light on an issue.

Now is more clear ??

Regards

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 2

Re: The demands of notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's rece [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2018, 15:03
This post received
KUDOS
ShubhiNigam29 wrote:
Carcass wrote:

Regards

Can you please help me understand it better? I tried several times, but with no luck. Can you please tell me the clue from which you got 'conciseness' for the blank?

Notwithstanding means "in spite of." So you could say the sentence reads something like "Even though we normally want ______, it would have been nice if the author had talked more about this one topic I find important." Therefore, the blank must be something in opposition of "talking/writing more about a topic." While this doesn't ONLY indicate needing something in opposition to "making longer," it is a possible (and in this case the correct) way to look at it. Instead of being a clear cut 100% answer, we need to then go back and decide which of the answer groups make sense in the recreated sentence.

There are 3 different word sets here that all fit as pairs: clarity/cogent, brevity/economy, and comprehensive/thorough. Using simpler meaning for each we can fill in the blank in the recreated sentence with: "even though we normally want A CLEAR UNDERSTANDING..." "even though we normally want CONCISE WRITING..." and "even though we normally want A COMPLETELY DETAILED..." So now we ask which of those makes the most sense as an opposite of "talking more on a subject." Completely detailed is NOT an opposite, it is the same thing, so this is incorrect. CLEAR UNDERSTANDING is also not correct. The only one that fits is CONCISE WRITING. Since brevity/economy were the pair that meant "concise writing," they are the answer.

While the amount i just wrote explaining it might seem like a lot, the actual process of thinking this problem through should havve taken maybe 15-20 seconds at most as long as you know all the words.
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q166 V158
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: The demands of notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's rece [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2018, 16:26
Thanks for the explanations
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Re: The demands of notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's rece [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2018, 12:12
soenottelling wrote:
ShubhiNigam29 wrote:
Carcass wrote:

Regards

Notwithstanding means "in spite of." So you could say the sentence reads something like "Even though we normally want ______, it would have been nice if the author had talked more about this one topic I find important." Therefore, the blank must be something in opposition of "talking/writing more about a topic." While this doesn't ONLY indicate needing something in opposition to "making longer," it is a possible (and in this case the correct) way to look at it. Instead of being a clear cut 100% answer, we need to then go back and decide which of the answer groups make sense in the recreated sentence.

There are 3 different word sets here that all fit as pairs: clarity/cogent, brevity/economy, and comprehensive/thorough. Using simpler meaning for each we can fill in the blank in the recreated sentence with: "even though we normally want A CLEAR UNDERSTANDING..." "even though we normally want CONCISE WRITING..." and "even though we normally want A COMPLETELY DETAILED..." So now we ask which of those makes the most sense as an opposite of "talking more on a subject." Completely detailed is NOT an opposite, it is the same thing, so this is incorrect. CLEAR UNDERSTANDING is also not correct. The only one that fits is CONCISE WRITING. Since brevity/economy were the pair that meant "concise writing," they are the answer.

While the amount i just wrote explaining it might seem like a lot, the actual process of thinking this problem through should havve taken maybe 15-20 seconds at most as long as you know all the words.

Thank you for your explanation of this question
Supreme Moderator
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: The demands of notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's rece [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2018, 22:14
Expert's post
Carcass wrote:

The demands of ________ notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's recent book on democracy that considered what public-choice economics has to say about "democratic failure" —or at least a clear signpost to that literature—would have been very well spent.

❑ clarity

❑ brevity

❑ comprehensiveness

❑ economy

❑ cogency

❑ thoroughness

B and D

The trap is here to go for the meaning that as people are looking for thorough knowledge of a concept, an additional page or two would have been meaningful.
so in this case, we are likely to pick up comprehensiveness and thoroughness as words for thorough knowledge of a concept.

But here the meaning is that " although we are looking for short and compact books, a page or two on a topic, which otherwise does not find a mention,would be well spent." so now we are looking for words that can replace short and compact, thus brevity and economy are correct.

B and D

Some useful Theory.
1. Arithmetic and Geometric progressions : https://greprepclub.com/forum/progressions-arithmetic-geometric-and-harmonic-11574.html#p27048
2. Effect of Arithmetic Operations on fraction : https://greprepclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-11573.html?sid=d570445335a783891cd4d48a17db9825
3. Remainders : https://greprepclub.com/forum/remainders-what-you-should-know-11524.html
4. Number properties : https://greprepclub.com/forum/number-property-all-you-require-11518.html
5. Absolute Modulus and Inequalities : https://greprepclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-11281.html

Re: The demands of notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's rece   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2018, 22:14

The demands of notwithstanding, a page or two in Dahl's rece

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact