It is currently 27 Feb 2020, 13:15
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

The contention that Hopkin’s extensive anthropological field

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 9746
Followers: 202

Kudos [?]: 2386 [0], given: 9231

CAT Tests
The contention that Hopkin’s extensive anthropological field [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2018, 11:04
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

32% (01:11) correct 67% (01:01) wrong based on 104 sessions
The contention that Hopkin’s extensive anthropological fieldwork led to a unified theory is (i) ______; close scrutiny reveals a (ii) ______ of observations that, at times, even prove (iii) ______ one another.



Blank (i) Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
(A) redoubtable (D) mere hodgepodge (G) inimical to
(B) specious (E) coherent system(H) convergent with
(C) unbiased (F) meticulous scaffolding(I) susceptible to
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Active Member
Active Member
Joined: 29 May 2018
Posts: 126
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 4

Re: The contention that Hopkin’s extensive anthropological field [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2018, 05:39
Carcass wrote:
The contention that Hopkin’s extensive anthropological fieldwork led to a unified theory is (i) ______; close scrutiny reveals a (ii) ______ of observations that, at times, even prove (iii) ______ one another.



Blank (i) Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
(A) redoubtable (D) mere hodgepodge (G) inimical to
(B) specious (E) coherent system(H) convergent with
(C) unbiased (F) meticulous scaffolding(I) susceptible to


answer explanation needed... :(
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 9746
Followers: 202

Kudos [?]: 2386 [0], given: 9231

CAT Tests
Re: The contention that Hopkin’s extensive anthropological field [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2018, 16:38
Expert's post
The key word in this sentence, which is indeed is very short and without so many clues such as in a long statement, is the word contention AND the overall unfolding of the sentence.

Now, contention means quarrel or debate. So the theory of a unified field of study is not totally good or correct, maybe is wrong totally and this is confirmed by the sentence as a whole.

So the meaning is this: maybe X (the theory) is good but at a closer look is wrong

As such, for the first blank unbiased is suddenly out. A contains in it the root word doubt so I do not think is good or that here we do have some doubt or whatever it means. B must be the answer even though I do not know the exact meaning of it.

At a closer look, the theory is wrong. A such, for the second blank E and F are positive words but we do need something that is negative. D must be the answer.

For the third blank H and I are out for the logic above. G is left.

Hope is clear now.

Regards
_________________

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2019
Posts: 514
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 156

CAT Tests
Re: The contention that Hopkin’s extensive anthropological field [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2019, 04:36
Carcass wrote:
The key word in this sentence, which is indeed is very short and without so many clues such as in a long statement, is the word contention AND the overall unfolding of the sentence.

Now, contention means quarrel or debate. So the theory of a unified field of study is not totally good or correct, maybe is wrong totally and this is confirmed by the sentence as a whole.

So the meaning is this: maybe X (the theory) is good but at a closer look is wrong

As such, for the first blank unbiased is suddenly out. A contains in it the root word doubt so I do not think is good or that here we do have some doubt or whatever it means. B must be the answer even though I do not know the exact meaning of it.

At a closer look, the theory is wrong. A such, for the second blank E and F are positive words but we do need something that is negative. D must be the answer.

For the third blank H and I are out for the logic above. G is left.

Hope is clear now.

Regards


For the third blank H and I are out for the logic above. ....................how ?
_________________

New to the GRE, and GRE CLUB Forum?
GRE: All About GRE | Search GRE Specific Questions | Download Vault
Posting Rules: QUANTITATIVE | VERBAL

Questions' Banks and Collection:
ETS: ETS Free PowerPrep 1 & 2 All 320 Questions Explanation. | ETS All Official Guides
3rd Party Resource's: All In One Resource's | All Quant Questions Collection | All Verbal Questions Collection | Manhattan 5lb All Questions Collection
Books: All GRE Best Books
Scores: Average GRE Score Required By Universities in the USA
Tests: All Free & Paid Practice Tests | GRE Prep Club Tests
Extra: Permutations, and Combination

1 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Posts: 82
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 78 [1] , given: 50

Re: The contention that Hopkin’s extensive anthropological field [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2020, 17:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
huda wrote:
Carcass wrote:
The key word in this sentence, which is indeed is very short and without so many clues such as in a long statement, is the word contention AND the overall unfolding of the sentence.

Now, contention means quarrel or debate. So the theory of a unified field of study is not totally good or correct, maybe is wrong totally and this is confirmed by the sentence as a whole.

So the meaning is this: maybe X (the theory) is good but at a closer look is wrong

As such, for the first blank unbiased is suddenly out. A contains in it the root word doubt so I do not think is good or that here we do have some doubt or whatever it means. B must be the answer even though I do not know the exact meaning of it.

At a closer look, the theory is wrong. A such, for the second blank E and F are positive words but we do need something that is negative. D must be the answer.

For the third blank H and I are out for the logic above. G is left.

Hope is clear now.

Regards


For the third blank H and I are out for the logic above. ....................how ?


Till the first clause, we understand the argument that Hopkin’s extensive anthropological fieldwork led to a unified theory may seem plausible, but there is something wrong (specious).

Then a close examination is done - it should be to justify why this argument is wrong. (we dont have context indicating a shift)
2 factors are cited as reasons for this:
1. "hodgepodge of observations" - a mere collection of observations - this one is subtle and may not be a factor from a certain perspective. It gave me an indication that the observations were merely gathered, and in a way lacked some kind of logical coherence.
2. Nature of these observations - a mere mixture of observations is fine, but many a times they even seemed to contradict each other (or something -ve)

For blank (2) I got confused with the option "a coherent system of observations" - which could have been continued with "at times, even inimical to each other" => but later refuted this, as it made no sense. How can a coherent system been contradicting ? This could have been possible had there been some kind of shift or word meaning dubious, specious etc.
Re: The contention that Hopkin’s extensive anthropological field   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2020, 17:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The contention that Hopkin’s extensive anthropological field

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Kindly note that the GRE® test is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by ETS®.