It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 12:24
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

The circles shown are tangent at point B. Point A is the ce

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 969 [0], given: 4476

CAT Tests
The circles shown are tangent at point B. Point A is the ce [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2018, 14:36
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

88% (00:41) correct 11% (02:37) wrong based on 9 sessions
Attachment:
circles.jpg
circles.jpg [ 12.06 KiB | Viewed 828 times ]

The circles shown are tangent at point B. Point A is the center of the larger circle, and line segment AB (not shown) is a diameter of the smaller circle. The area of the smaller circle is what fraction of the area of the larger circle?

enter your value

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
\(\frac{1}{4}\)

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [2] , given: 0

Re: The circles shown are tangent at point B. Point A is the ce [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2018, 19:22
This post received
KUDOS
The fastest way to solve this problem is to know that for any two similar shapes, the ratio of their areas is equal to the square of the ratio of their lengths. For example, a square with a side of 5 and an area of 25, and a square with a side of 10 and an area of 100. The ratio of their side lengths is 1:2, but the ratio of their areas is 1:4.

In this problem, we can quickly see that the diameter of the small circle is half that of the larger circle. Squaring 1/2 gets us 1/4, so the small circle has 1/4 the area of the larger.

-
-
-
-
-

Need help with GRE math? Check out our ground-breaking books and app.

GRE Instructor
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 1047 [0], given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: The circles shown are tangent at point B. Point A is the ce [#permalink] New post 02 May 2018, 07:49
Expert's post
Carcass wrote:
Attachment:
circles.jpg

The circles shown are tangent at point B. Point A is the center of the larger circle, and line segment AB (not shown) is a diameter of the smaller circle. The area of the smaller circle is what fraction of the area of the larger circle?

enter your value

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
\(\frac{1}{4}\)

Let's assign some values that meet the given conditions.

So, let's say that AB = 2
This means the RADIUS of the LARGE circle = 2

It also means that the DIAMETER of the SMALL circle = 2
If the DIAMETER of the SMALL circle = 2, then the RADIUS of the SMALL circle = 1

The area of the smaller circle is what fraction of the area of the larger circle?
Area = π(radius)²

So, area of BIG circle = π(2²) = 4π
And the area of SMALL circle = π(1²) = 1π

From here, we can see that the area of the smaller circle is 1/4 of the area of the larger circle (i.e., 1π is 1/4 of 4π)

Answer: 1/4

Cheers,
Brent

Brent Hanneson – Creator of greenlighttestprep.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 15

Re: The circles shown are tangent at point B. Point A is the ce [#permalink] New post 02 May 2018, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
Even though I like both the above methods, the technique I prefer is this. Area of big circle = pi*r^2. Area of small circle = pi*(r/2)^2= pi*r^2/4. i took less times using this. I guess the way everyone practices and has learned their basics matters with such techniques. So till our techniques are right and quick, its all good.
Re: The circles shown are tangent at point B. Point A is the ce   [#permalink] 02 May 2018, 11:11

The circles shown are tangent at point B. Point A is the ce

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact