It is currently 27 Oct 2020, 12:36
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

The activists’ energetic work in the service

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Followers: 115

Kudos [?]: 665 [1] , given: 64

The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2016, 05:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

29% (00:36) correct 70% (00:52) wrong based on 315 sessions
The activists’ energetic work in the service of both woman suffrage and the temperance movement in the late nineteenth century (i)__________ the assertion that the two movements were (ii)__________.

Blank (i)Blank (ii)
A. underminesD. diffuse
B. supportsE. inimical
C. underscoresF. predominant

Practice Test Questions
Question: 18
Page: 326
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

5 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Followers: 115

Kudos [?]: 665 [5] , given: 64

Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2016, 05:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

Explanation

The sentence is about the implications of the activists’ energetic work for some assertion about the woman suffrage and temperance movements. The second blank, however, obscures the nature of that assertion. But it is clear that the “energetic work” could either support an assertion that the two movements were similar, or undermine an assertion that the two movements were opposed. “Supports” is offered as a choice for the first blank (as is the somewhat similar “underscores”), but there is no corresponding term in the second blank, nothing along the lines of “similar” or “compatible.” “Undermines” and “inimical” make for the only meaningful statement.
Thus, the correct answer is undermines (Choice A) and inimical (Choice E).

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2016, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
Why can't the 'energetic work' of the activist support the assertion that the movements were predominant?
After all, a predominant movement ought to receive more attention and work.

Moreover, how does inimical relate to 'energetic work'? This question is ambivalent.
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 777 [2] , given: 88

Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 28 May 2018, 02:54
This post received
KUDOS
The activist has worked in two types of movement at a same time frame however we cannot conclude that at the time when the activist was engaged in those two movements that there were only those two predominant movement there could have been other more significant movements.

This is my response to the question and may be incorrect. Feel free to rectify any mistakes
Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos

Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q166 V157

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2019, 23:06
james21 wrote:
Why can't the 'energetic work' of the activist support the assertion that the movements were predominant?

Moreover, how does inimical relate to 'energetic work'? This question is ambivalent.

I agree with james21. Also, there is no clues to realize that there should be some similarity between the two movements (as amorphous mentioned there are no reasons to support the fact that the two movements are predominant)

I am really confused with some of the GRE questions :?: :(
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2019, 06:14
answer is C and F
3 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Followers: 305

Kudos [?]: 3546 [3] , given: 12654

CAT Tests
Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2019, 11:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
saeed12abd wrote:
james21 wrote:

I agree with james21. Also, there is no clues to realize that there should be some similarity between the two movements (as amorphous mentioned there are no reasons to support the fact that the two movements are predominant)

I completely disagree with this line of thought. ALWAYS the sentence has a clue even though our clue is feeble and super tiny

The activists’ energetic work in the service of both woman suffrage and the temperance movement in the late nineteenth century (i)__________ the assertion that the two movements were (ii)__________.

The words energetic work, which work as a specific indication how the work was AND provides a context of the quality of the support to the woman at the time, make our sentence or TOTALLY positive or TOTALLY negative.

I.E. the first and second blanks must go in the same direction. OR the two movements were akin OR were, in contrast, each other.

Now, in the FIRST blank clearly, C is out of scope. So everything boils down to A or B. However, we said that the two blanks must go in the same direction BUT B does not have a counterpart in the second blanks.

So the answer must be undermins and inimical.

ETS is very cunning and astute to craft similar question. If the students do not see it that does not mean the question is flawed.

Ask if somethinng is still unclear to you.

Regards

- Do you want all the GRE Prep Club resources at a glance (sort of ) ?? Look at GRE Prep Club Official LinkTree page
- Do you want all the GRE Prep Club FREE resources in one spot ?? Look at Free GRE Materials - Where to get it!! (2020)
- Do you want all the FREE GRE tests on earth ?? Look at FREE GRE Practice Tests [Collection] - New Edition (2021)
- Do you want to know the GRE score in the Top 25 BS in 7 continents ?? Look at here The GRE average score at Top 25 Business Schools 2020 Ed.
- Need Practice 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
- GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q166 V157

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 10

Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2019, 22:04
This post received
KUDOS
Carcass wrote:
saeed12abd wrote:
james21 wrote:

I completely disagree with this line of thought. ALWAYS the sentence has a clue even though our clue is feeble and super tiny

The words energetic work which works as a specific indication how the work was AND provides a context of the quality of the support to the woman at the time, makes our sentence or TOTALLY positive or TOTALLY negative.

I.E. the first and second blanks must go in the same direction. OR the two movements were akin OR were, in contrast, each other.

Now, in the FIRST blank clearly, C is out of scope. So everything boils down to A or B. However, we said that the two blanks must go in the same direction BUT B does not have a counterpart in the second blanks.

So the answer must be undermins and inimical.

ETS is very cunning and astute to craft similar question. If the students do not see it that does not mean the question is flawed.

Ask if somethinng is still unclear to you.

Regards

Thank you for the explanation, however, I never implied the question was flawed. All that examinees need to learn is to break into the test maker's mind and think in the same way that they do.
Frankly speaking, I severely disagree with your resolution (POE) since eliminating "predominant", because it is not a proper counterpart for "support", is not acceptable( in my opinion :-D ). Although, by struggling a few more hours with the text (and myself), I realized that the only clue that we can grasp to justify the answer is "both" in the highlighted text you mentioned which states that same activists were contributing to "both" movements which infers a sense of alignment between the movements
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Followers: 305

Kudos [?]: 3546 [1] , given: 12654

CAT Tests
Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2019, 00:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I am happy for the help Sir.

Regards

- Do you want all the GRE Prep Club resources at a glance (sort of ) ?? Look at GRE Prep Club Official LinkTree page
- Do you want all the GRE Prep Club FREE resources in one spot ?? Look at Free GRE Materials - Where to get it!! (2020)
- Do you want all the FREE GRE tests on earth ?? Look at FREE GRE Practice Tests [Collection] - New Edition (2021)
- Do you want to know the GRE score in the Top 25 BS in 7 continents ?? Look at here The GRE average score at Top 25 Business Schools 2020 Ed.
- Need Practice 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
- GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2019, 04:48
If you describe something as diffuse, you mean that it is vague and difficult to understand or explain.
So answer A,D
3 KUDOS received
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 314 [3] , given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2019, 00:38
This post received
KUDOS
soumya1989 wrote:

Blank (i)Blank (ii)
A. underminesD. diffuse
B. supportsE. inimical
C. underscoresF. predominant

Practice Test Questions
Question: 18
Page: 326

Let us look at all logical possibilities.

The assertion = the two movements were:

1. co-existing
2. against each other
3. unrelated

The activists’ energetic work in the service of both woman suffrage and the temperance movement:

1. supports the assertion
2. destroys the assertion
3. ignores the assertion

Given that the activists put energetic work in the service of both movements

it would support the assertion that the two movements were coexisting
OR
it would destroy the assertion that the two movements were against each other

There is no choice for the second blank to suggest that the two movements were coexisting. So the word choice for the first blank cannot be supports. Or underscores.

There is a word choice for the second blank - inimical - to mean that the two movements were against each other. And we do have a word choice for the first blank to convey the meaning of "destroy". And that is undermines.

The word choices predominant and diffuse do not fit it into the above logical possibilities. Neither are there any clear word choices for the first blank which would meaningfully complete the sentence using these two words for the second blank.

And no word choices exist to support the third logical possibility - that of ignoring the assertion that they are unrelated movements.

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos

GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2019, 09:42
This post received
KUDOS
Just to take "truffaldino from bergamo" and then we understand that energetic work on service is possible even on different hosts. So there are only reason related with understanding. So diffuse is correct in all sences.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2019, 07:42
I cannot understand why these 2 movements cannot coexist if it took place in reality in the history of many countries? Why we should count that these 2 events are against each other - prohibition era and female rights? Based on history, in reality, both movements were highly supported by activists, were coexisted and were predominant.
So why?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 0

Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2019, 20:02
This post received
KUDOS
Every question is different. While in some questions, the meaning is extremely important, in some others, elimination is more important. For instance, in this case, elimination is just as important as the sentence itself. The point is, if we choose option B or option C for Blank (i), none of the options in Blank (ii) create a pair that makes any logical sense. With 'support', we would need an option similar to 'symbiotic'.
So, the only possible option that fits in the 1st blank is option A. Now, looking at the 2nd blank, again, options D and F don't make logical sense with 'undermines'. So, based on elimination, it must be option E.

Best Regards!

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 22

Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2020, 00:30
Diffuse means lacking concentration, so since they were supported energetically, it undermined the assertion that both events were diffuse. (Not concentrated or focused).
Can someone clarify?
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 367 [1] , given: 52

Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2020, 05:06
This post received
KUDOS
Zohair123 wrote:
Diffuse means lacking concentration, so since they were supported energetically, it undermined the assertion that both events were diffuse. (Not concentrated or focused).
Can someone clarify?

The person was energetic in his work, and not the events. You cannot compare apples with oranges.

Thanks and Regards,

theBrahmaTiger

If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Rules for Posting

Got 20 Kudos? You can get Free GRE Prep Club Tests

GRE Prep Club Members of the Month:TOP 10 members of the month with highest kudos receive access to 3 months GRE Prep Club tests

Re: The activists’ energetic work in the service   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2020, 05:06

The activists’ energetic work in the service

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact