It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 06:53
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

That the President manages the economy is an assumption (i)_

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 976 [1] , given: 4494

CAT Tests
That the President manages the economy is an assumption (i)_ [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2017, 03:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

41% (01:01) correct 58% (00:46) wrong based on 62 sessions

That the President manages the economy is an assumption (i)_____ the prevailing wisdom that dominates electoral politics in the United States. As a result, presidential elections have become referenda on the business cycle, whose fortuitous turnings are (ii)_____ the President. Presidents are properly accountable for their executive and legislative performance, and certainly their actions may have profound effects on the economy. But these effects are (iii)_____. Unfortunately, modern political campaigns are fought on the untenable premise that Presidents can deliberately produce precise economic results.

Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii)
(A) peripheral to (D) justifiably personified in (G) usually long-lasting
(B) central to (E) erroneously attributed to (H) regrettably unnoticeable
(C) at odds with (F) occasionally associated with (I) largely unpredictable

n
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Kudos [?]: 976 [0], given: 4494

CAT Tests
Re: That the President manages the economy is an assumption (i)_ [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2017, 07:33
Expert's post
Explanation

The electorate think that the President is a savage person about economic issues, but indeed he is not or not always the time. As such, B,E, and I are the answers.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: That the President manages the economy is an assumption (i)_ [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2018, 13:36
Who not A or C? Why does it have to be B in this particular case?

Kudos [?]: 976 [0], given: 4494

CAT Tests
Re: That the President manages the economy is an assumption (i)_ [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2018, 15:31
Expert's post
It is pivotal in the view of the electorate. The other two are out of scope.

Ask if you need further explanation.

regards

Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q162 V148
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: That the President manages the economy is an assumption (i)_ [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2018, 11:22
Please explain in detail.

Carcass wrote:
It is pivotal in the view of the electorate. The other two are out of scope.

Ask if you need further explanation.

regards
2 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 976 [2] , given: 4494

CAT Tests
Re: That the President manages the economy is an assumption (i)_ [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2018, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The electorate of a nation, and the people, in general, think that the President is the main reason or one of the main reasons because of the economy is doing well.

This assumption, however, is not true. Moreover, every new Presidental election actually every four years ends up to a referendum about the presidency capacity to lead the economy.

But, the economy itself has such behaviors that even the most skillful Economy Professors or Nobel Prize winner have hard times to figure out due to the immense complexity.

The conclusion is that the President really is not able to set up what we still do not know fully.

Now, in the flowing of the sentence, only B,E and I fit the economy of the sentence as a whole.

Regards

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 22

Re: That the President manages the economy is an assumption (i)_ [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2018, 21:50
This post received
KUDOS
Very Good Question .

We should tackle this Blank by Blank , With Blank iii) being the easiest to fill ,Unfortunately modern elections.....UNTENABLE PROMISE ....Produce Economic Results . The Word Untenable and the whole sentence points out that The Economic Outcome is not something that is fixed or completely in the hands of The President. So we use Option I) as the other Options Long Lasting & Unnoticeable make no sense to the context.

For Blank ii) Since the effects of the Economic Outcome whether Positive or Negative , the Positive return or Surge in Economic Performance is Wrongly attributed / taken credit or related to the President for his electoral benefit so we use Option E)

Now Blank i) It is logical & inferential for the Economic Management / Issue being Central & of utmost importance to the Electoral Politics , as the President is trying to take credit / being attributed for the Economic Rise , anything Peripheral or Unimportant makes no sense.
Re: That the President manages the economy is an assumption (i)_   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2018, 21:50

That the President manages the economy is an assumption (i)_

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact