It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 04:49
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Text Completion #39-Olympic Cycling Team took their

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 439 [1] , given: 64

Text Completion #39-Olympic Cycling Team took their [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2014, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

32% (00:16) correct 68% (00:25) wrong based on 25 sessions
The Olympic Cycling Team took their ____________ at the base of the mountain, hoping that the extra calories would sustain them during the tortuous ascent.

A) vows
B) repast
C) umbrage
D) dander
E) leave
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

Director
Director
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 64

Re: Text Completion #39 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2014, 10:52
Expert's post
[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer & Explanation
Answer: (B)

’hoping…extra calories’ shows that the team just had their meal. We need a word similar to meal

(A) vows does not fit context
(B) a repast is a meal
(C) umbrage is annoyance
(D) dander is one’s temper
(E) leave does not mean meal

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Text Completion #39-Olympic Cycling Team took their [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2018, 01:45
What is the correct answer?Can someone explain this.
Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Text Completion #39-Olympic Cycling Team took their [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2018, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
Reetika1990 wrote:
What is the correct answer?Can someone explain this.
Thanks

The correct answer is B. In this question you can see from the context that we are looking for a word that means to eat. The clue is in the second part of the sentence: "hoping that the extra calories would sustain them during the tortuous ascent."

In order to get the extra calories they should eat something. Repast means "any collection of food that is eaten at one time" - so it means "a meal."

In the sentence this becomes "The Olympic Cycling Team took their meal at the base of the mountain,"

If you do not know "repast" you can also work at this through process of elimination. It is important on text completion and sentence equivalence questions to focus on the words you do know. "Vows" and "leave" are the simplest words out of these options. Neither has anything to do with eating. The word "dander" is a bit more obscure but hardly seems to have any connection to eating. In fact the phrase "get you dander up" is to lose your temper. While the noun "dander" is related to "dandruff" which is small flakes of dead skin. Even if eaten this would hardly provide many extra calories!

Finally you have the word "umbrage." Again this has little chance of being related to eating. (As opposed to repast which is very close to the French "un repas" which means "a meal"). In fact umbrage means "offense or annoyance."

For this question the key is the context - as long as you understand that you need to find a word that means to eat something you have a good chance of either knowing generally what "repast" means or of working through the process of elimination and ending up with the correct answer that way.

David Newland
Veritas Prep GRE Instructor

Re: Text Completion #39-Olympic Cycling Team took their   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2018, 07:29

Text Completion #39-Olympic Cycling Team took their

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact