It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 04:46
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Text Completion #37-governmental bungling in the environment

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 439 [1] , given: 64

Text Completion #37-governmental bungling in the environment [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2014, 09:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

62% (00:54) correct 37% (00:31) wrong based on 8 sessions
Some minor governmental bungling in the environmental sector can ____________ what many watchdog organizations are declaiming as gross negligence: indeed entire swathes of once fertile land now gone barren ____________ flaws in state policy.

Blank IBlank II
Certainly MitigateCannot Solely be attributed to
Certainly MisrepresentCan eventually be traced to
Hardly account forResult directly from
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

Director
Director
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 64

Re: Text Completion #37 [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2014, 09:18
Expert's post

Explanation

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
(C), (D)

This is a very difficult sentence to crack open. A good approach is to plug in answer choices and see which ones result in a coherent and logical meaning. While this may not sound very time-efficient, on a difficult sentence like this one, you are likely to waste more time trying to figure out the sentence (but probably to no avail).

When plugging in those answer choices, of course we want to keep in mind a couple of keywords from text. First, we see the colon and the word "indeed," which means there is some elaboration in this sentence. The first half and the second half convey the same message.

Besides that, take note of the parallel between "minor governmental bungling" and "gross negligence." These are similar, but there's a key difference between "minor" and "gross." This connection makes the first blank look a bit easier to work with, so we'll start there. But if we try to make a prediction, it's a bit tricky--either "explain" or "can't explain," for example, COULD make sense, depending on the intended message. That's why we start plugging in answer choices, here; it's too hard to make a reasonable guess beforehand.

Only (C) hardly account for makes sense. Bungling can neither "mitigate" nor "misrepresent" negligence. Once the first blank is clear, take a quick step back and check if the sentence makes a bit more sense.

From the meaning of that first part of the sentence, we can possibly make a prediction for the second half or just continue plugging in. Keep in mind that plugging in like this is second-tier strategy! It's much better to predict the answer before looking at choices whenever possible.

For the second blank, we need (D) cannot solely be attributed to create a logical and coherent meaning. Some small errors on the government's part (the "minor bungling" from the beginning) cannot be entirely blamed for the fact that entire areas of land have gone barren (the "gross negligence"). The relationship of these two problems, "flaws" and barren land, is the same as the relationship between the two problems in the first half of the sentence. Again, that's because this is an elaboration sentence, as shown by "indeed."

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

Re: Text Completion #37   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2014, 09:18

Text Completion #37-governmental bungling in the environment

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact