It is currently 16 Jan 2019, 22:51
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Strategy Pages (by ETS) - Value?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Strategy Pages (by ETS) - Value? [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2019, 06:35
Hi all. If I am posting in the incorrect subforum, please let me know. (I am trying to adhere to the 12 Rules for Posting). Here is my question:

How worthwhile are the official strategy-related materials provided by ETS?

For example, take something like "Strategy 9: Estimate". (I would provide a link, but I've been a forum member for less than 5 days, so I am unable to).

In their solution explanation (to the second sample question), the first sentence reads, "Scanning the answer choices indicates that you can do at least some estimation and still answer confidently."

The authors present this particular observation as self-evident, but to me---as a newbie---it doesn't seem self-evident. Moreover, the whole reason I'm reviewing this page in the first place is to get a better sense of how/when to utilize the stategy of "estimation", yet it doesn't seem---to me, at least---that the authors provide much in terms of clarity or explanation.

As a result, I didn't find this page ("Strategy 9: Estimate") all that helpful. I guess what I'm wondering is whether or not this page is representative of most of the other official ETS GRE prep materials, at least with regards to strategies and tactics.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: Strategy Pages (by ETS) - Value? [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2019, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
jjsomanytabs wrote:
(I would provide a link, but I've been a forum member for less than 5 days, so I am unable to).

Here is the link:
https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general ... solving/9/
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [2] , given: 83

Re: Strategy Pages (by ETS) - Value? [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2019, 20:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It is a good question - the official guides for both GRE and GMAT offer little help and value in preparing to the test. They provide probably bare minimum coverage and frankly, drive more confusion than value. I would wish that GRE/ETS would simply say - we ain't got no help for you so here are the official questions and here are some other resources you can use instead of pretending they are trying to help.

I would not waste my time going around the ETS.org and instead look at MGRE, Kaplan, obviously GRE Prep Club ;-) and esp the Magoosh blog - it seems to have lots of relevant tips but keep in mind that the tips/blog posts/help you are likely to find online will be more of a preview or a showcase of what the full product/course/book contain and thus will not be comprehensive in nature. I would recommend getting one of the prep books https://greprepclub.com/forum/best-gre-books-7/ to give you a complete overview as well as strategies to approach questions. You will save yourself a lot of effort and headache.

Good Luck!

Founder of GRE Prep Club

New Project - 20 Free GRE Quant Tests

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Strategy Pages (by ETS) - Value? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2019, 05:59
Thanks for the detailed feeback. Much appreciated. Yeah, for strategy methods and tips, I've already been reviewing other sources (e.g. GRE Prep Club, Manhattan Prep blog posts, etc), but---going forward, given your feedback / confirmation---I'll definitely skip any of the other offical ETS strategy pages and just utlize ETS for official practice questions. Thanks again.
Re: Strategy Pages (by ETS) - Value?   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2019, 05:59

Strategy Pages (by ETS) - Value?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact