It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 21:16
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Sparva, unlike Treland’s other provinces

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
GRE 1: 326 Q165 V161
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 64

Sparva, unlike Treland’s other provinces [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2016, 00:26
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Sparva, unlike Treland’s other provinces, requires automobile insurers to pay for any medical treatment sought by someone who has been involved in an accident; in the other provinces, insurers pay for nonemergency treatment only if they preapprove the treatment. Clearly, Sparva’s less restrictive policy must be the explanation for the fact
that altogether insurers there pay for far more treatments after accidents than insurers in other provinces, even though Sparva does not have the largest population.
7. Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?
A Car insurance costs more in Sparva than in any other province.
B The cost of medical care in Sparva is higher than the national average.
C Different insurance companies have different standards for determining what constitutes emergency treatment.
D Fewer insurance companies operate in Sparva than in any other province.
E There are fewer traffic accidents annually in Sparva than in any of the provinces of comparable or greater population.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
E

Practice Test Questions
Question: 7
Page: 321

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

Director
Director
GRE 1: 326 Q165 V161
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 64

Re: Sparva, unlike Treland’s other provinces [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2016, 00:28
Expert's post

Explanation

The question asks you to identify among the answer choices a fact that would support the passage’s argument. The explanation offered in the passage can be supported by ruling
out other explanations that might, given the information presented in the passage, appear likely. One obvious explanation for there being more medical treatments in
Sparva is that there are more accidents there. Choice E rules out that explanation. So Choice E strengthens the argument in the passage and is the correct answer. Choices A
and D each present consequences that are likely results of insurers in Sparva having to pay for more medical treatments. But neither bears on the cause of insurers having to
pay for more treatments. Choice B does not strengthen the argument and may weaken it. A higher cost of medical care provides additional motivation for people to seek insurance
payments to cover whatever post-accident care they receive. So Choice B might weaken the argument by providing an alternative explanation for insurers paying for
more medical treatments in Sparva. According to the passage, whether treatment is emergency treatment is, in other provinces, an important criterion in determining insurers’
responsibility. But since this criterion does not apply in Sparva, Choice C is not directly relevant to the point that the passage is trying to establish.

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Sparva, unlike Treland’s other provinces [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2017, 20:54
One obvious explanation for there being more medical treatments in Sparva is that there are more accidents there. Choice E rules out that explanation. So Choice E strengthens the argument in the passage and is the correct answer.

It said in answer E there are FEWER accidents. Are you sure?
Re: Sparva, unlike Treland’s other provinces   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2017, 20:54

Sparva, unlike Treland’s other provinces

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms of Use| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact