It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 20:49
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 1022 [0], given: 4624

CAT Tests
Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2017, 07:22
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

12% (00:37) correct 87% (00:42) wrong based on 110 sessions

Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require a specific number of lines and syllables, invite and may even (i) __________ wordiness; when no such (ii) __________ exists, the poet can easily spot and (iii) ___________ superfluities.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
(A) curtail (D) constraint (G) foster
(B) pretentious (E) lyricism(H) blandish
(C) juxtapose (F) subterfuge(I) eliminate

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B,D, and I

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 61 [2] , given: 27

Re: Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2017, 13:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Carcass,

My answer would be :Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require a specific number of lines and syllables, invite and may even (i) curtail wordiness; when no such (ii) constraint exists, the poet can easily spot and (iii) foster superfluities.

Not sure. Please suggest?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 3

Re: Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require [#permalink] New post 14 May 2017, 19:45
This post received
KUDOS
can you please let me know what is the meaning of "invite" here?

i got answer- a, d , i (not sure why answer to the first blank is b)

Carcass wrote:

Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require a specific number of lines and syllables, invite and may even (i) __________ wordiness; when no such (ii) __________ exists, the poet can easily spot and (iii) ___________ superfluities.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
(A) curtail (D) constraint (G) foster
(B) pretentious (E) lyricism(H) blandish
(C) juxtapose (F) subterfuge(I) eliminate

B,D, and I

CAT Tests
Re: Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require [#permalink] New post 15 May 2017, 06:19
Expert's post
without a shadow of the doubt, the first part of the sentence is the trickiest one.

However, if you read very carefully, the poetic form wich is formed via specific number of lines, indeed wordiness, denoting an increasing in the elaboration of a composition Curtail means the opposite and juxtapose is out of scope.

From this, we do have that when no such limitations are in place (D) the poet can easily eliminate (I) what is superfluous.

Hope this helpès

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require [#permalink] New post 31 May 2017, 01:24
Carcass wrote:
without a shadow of the doubt, the first part of the sentence is the trickiest one.

However, if you read very carefully, the poetic form wich is formed via specific number of lines, indeed wordiness, denoting an increasing in the elaboration of a composition Curtail means the opposite and juxtapose is out of scope.

From this, we do have that when no such limitations are in place (D) the poet can easily eliminate (I) what is superfluous.

Hope this helpès

Doesn't the specific also mean that the author may also have to limit himself?

CAT Tests
Re: Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require [#permalink] New post 31 May 2017, 02:17
Expert's post
newtaraday wrote:
Carcass wrote:

Hope this helpès

Specific in this context means: not countless. Because the poetic form is fixed.

This is the OE

Quote:
The adverb even (indeed) is used here as an intensive to stress something. Not only do fixed poetic forms invite wordiness, they may even encourage it. Because these fixed forms require the poet to write a specific number of lines or syllables, they place a constraint (limitation; restriction) on the poet. Without that constraint, the poet might have an easier time spotting and eliminating unnecessary syllables and words.

Hope this helps

regards

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q164 V150
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 2

Re: Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require [#permalink] New post 31 May 2018, 20:59
This post received
KUDOS
The first blank requires a 'verb' to be filled not an 'adjective'. Putting an adjective, pretentious, in the first blank makes the sentence makes a little erratic. I agree with the explanation that 'curtail' is the opposite of a word we are looking for, but 'pretentious' isn't correct too.

Carcass wrote:
newtaraday wrote:
Carcass wrote:

Hope this helpès

Specific in this context means: not countless. Because the poetic form is fixed.

This is the OE

Quote:
The adverb even (indeed) is used here as an intensive to stress something. Not only do fixed poetic forms invite wordiness, they may even encourage it. Because these fixed forms require the poet to write a specific number of lines or syllables, they place a constraint (limitation; restriction) on the poet. Without that constraint, the poet might have an easier time spotting and eliminating unnecessary syllables and words.

Hope this helps

regards
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2018, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
option b for the first blank is misprinted here. It should read "encourages" as opposed to Pretentious.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q159 V151
GPA: 4
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2018, 11:29
This post received
KUDOS
Constraint and eliminate are the right choices, but encourage is misprinted as pretentious.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 38

Re: Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2018, 04:54
This post received
KUDOS
To answer this question, one should note several tricks. One of these is to understand the meaning of the first sentence. When the poet keeps the number of lines and syllables in the poem, he/she can have a problem of wordiness. Other helping clues are the phrases, "when no such ____ exists" the author can eliminate the "superfluities." The word "superfluities" is another clue for this TC. Therefore, the sentence starts providing a sense. If the author avoids using the equal number of lines and syllables, he/she can avoid wordiness as well as have no constrain to eliminate the superfluities or the word-surpluses.

What you think, you become.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2018, 05:29
The answer choice pretentious is very confusing. Can someone please break it down for me.

CAT Tests
Re: Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2018, 15:10
Expert's post

Some critics say that poetic invite (something) and is also assumptive (that is the meaning of pretentious). However, if such constraints are not set up, the poetic could be spot and eliminate what is unnecessary. Ending in a beautiful thing, after all.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests
Re: Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2018, 16:04
Carcass wrote:

Some critics say that poetic invite (something) and is also assumptive (that is the meaning of pretentious). However, if such constraints are not set up, the poetic could be spot and eliminate what is unnecessary. Ending in a beautiful thing, after all.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Even with understanding that pretentious means assumptive, that answer still seems that it doesn't fit the blank.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2018, 18:34
This is an absolutely terrible example and should be removed.
Supreme Moderator
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2018, 01:42
Expert's post
projectoffset wrote:
This is an absolutely terrible example and should be removed.

agreed..

The first blank has to be a verb as it is parallel to verb invite, but the answer given is PRETENTIOUS, which is an adjective and can noway fit in.

Now, this could be corrected
a) by changing the blank choice
b) by removing AND and reforming the phrase as below
Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require a specific number of lines and syllables, invite and may even may even invite (i) __________ wordiness; when no such (ii) __________ exists, the poet can easily spot and (iii) ___________ superfluities.
Noun it maintains required stress and also pretentious may just fit in with NOUN wordiness.

But we would remove this from our database and lock this thread.

Some useful Theory.
1. Arithmetic and Geometric progressions : https://greprepclub.com/forum/progressions-arithmetic-geometric-and-harmonic-11574.html#p27048
2. Effect of Arithmetic Operations on fraction : https://greprepclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-11573.html?sid=d570445335a783891cd4d48a17db9825
3. Remainders : https://greprepclub.com/forum/remainders-what-you-should-know-11524.html
4. Number properties : https://greprepclub.com/forum/number-property-all-you-require-11518.html
5. Absolute Modulus and Inequalities : https://greprepclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-11281.html

Re: Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2018, 01:42

Some critics maintain that fixed poetic forms, which require

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact