It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 19:55
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Since she believed him to be both candid and trustworthy, sh

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Founder
Founder
Followers: 114

Kudos [?]: 1343 [0], given: 6316

CAT Tests
Since she believed him to be both candid and trustworthy, sh [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2017, 08:24
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

72% (00:15) correct 27% (00:17) wrong based on 113 sessions

Since she believed him to be both candid and trustworthy, she refused to consider the possibility that his statement had been (i) ______.

Blank (i)
(A) irrelevant
(B) facetious
(C) mistaken
(D) critical
(E) insincere
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Followers: 114

Kudos [?]: 1343 [1] , given: 6316

CAT Tests
Re: Since she believed him to be both candid and trustworthy, sh [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2017, 03:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Explanation

Sometimes, the more is the phrase short, the more it is tricky.

Analyzing the sentence overall is the first step to conquer it. The most important thing of your strategy is to grasp the very essence and the meaning of the sentence as a whole. Then this could be coupled with the searching of clues. These two approaches can be overlapped, using in conjunction, or you can use them as your convenience.

The first part of the sentence

Since she believed him to be both candid and trustworthy means that the first half our sentence will be a reason for the second half of the sentence.
Moreover, if she thinks that he is true (in the sense that we can trust him and does not lie) then the second part of the sentence, which contains the blank, must have as word something that expresses this sentiment. She might refuse to believe that it is dishonest.

Now, looking to the answer choices:

Irrelevant means unimportant, which clearly is not the right choice.

Facetious means sarcastic, who lies intentionally or using irony to mock someone else. it could be tempting but we need a word that shows us trust, loyalty or something else in a similar fashion.

Mistaken means, eventually wrong. However, you can be mistaken with or without being trustworthy.

Critical means something of extreme importance (usually) or even something that expresses disapproval or judgment. Clearly, it is a wrong answer.

Insincere means that someone when is insincere he/shge is not frank.

she refused to consider the possibility that his statement had been is not trustworthy or insincere

E is the best answer.

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University
GRE 1: Q168 V169
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 2

Re: Since she believed him to be both candid and trustworthy, sh [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2019, 12:45
Expert's post
Attached is an image that should help.

Best of luck on your GRE and beyond,

-Brian

Source: Vince and Brian's GRE PowerPrep Explanations

Harvard grad and verified 99% GRE scorer, offering high-quality private GRE tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

GRE Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Personal Best GRE Score: 168/170 Quant (95%), 169/170 Verbal (99%), 5.5 AWA (98%)

GRE Vocab Capacity - Amazon.com

Vince and Brian's Free GRE PowerPrep Explanations

My GRE AMA on Reddit

Check Me Out on GMAT Club

My GRE Subreddit: r/GREpreparation

Re: Since she believed him to be both candid and trustworthy, sh   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2019, 12:45

Since she believed him to be both candid and trustworthy, sh

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact