It is currently 23 May 2019, 06:43
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Sentence Equivalence

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Sentence Equivalence [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2019, 10:21
00:00

Question Stats:

55% (00:35) correct 45% (00:37) wrong based on 20 sessions
For someone so unjustifiably (i) ______ success, the recently installed CEO perhaps surprised very few when his series of impractical business solutions did not (i) ______ the floundering firm.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)
assured of pan out for
intrigued by end disastrously for
unfamiliar with reflect negatively on

Have a lot of dilemma with the first blank.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Carcass on 15 Mar 2019, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
Edited by Carcass
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 97 [1] , given: 0

Re: Sentence Equivalence [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2019, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
No one was surprised when the CEO failed. The first blank should relate to this idea.

"Intrigued by" means interested in. Being interested in, or curious about, success doesn't really make sense in general. Most people have a sense of what success is.

"Unfamiliar with" is the opposite of the meaning we want. If the CEO was unjustifiably unfamiliar with success, this means that he should be familiar with success. However, this is a terrible CEO whose ideas are impractical. So there's no reason why they should have been familiar with success.

That leaves choice A, "assured of," which fits. It's not perfect, but far better than the other choices. If the CEO was assured of success, then he thought he would succeed. This was totally unjustified, though, because this CEO is a terrible one who was never going to succeed.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Re: Sentence Equivalence [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2019, 06:38
This post received
KUDOS
Please review my explanation

If the CEO had not been familiar with success, his failure would not have been surprising to many people. It would have been surprising to less people. Thus the fact that only few people were surprised by his failure is not alarming.

Here the CEO was assured of his success and yet he failed. This should have surprised many people but it didn't. The fact that it surprised less people is alarming.

Hence Options A & D
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 97 [1] , given: 0

Re: Sentence Equivalence [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2019, 02:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Raj30 wrote:
Please review my explanation

If the CEO had not been familiar with success, his failure would not have been surprising to many people. It would have been surprising to less people. Thus the fact that only few people were surprised by his failure is not alarming.

Here the CEO was assured of his success and yet he failed. This should have surprised many people but it didn't. The fact that it surprised less people is alarming.

Hence Options A & D

You're on the right track, but I think you're still missing some key details. First, the CEO's failure was not surprising at all. Everyone saw it coming. Nothing in the sentence is alarming.

The CEO was assured of success, but only to himself. In other words, he was the only one who thought he would succeed. He was unjustifiably assured of success, meaning he should not be assured of success, but he was. So no one was surprised. It's not that his failure should have been surprising but wasn't. Rather, everyone saw his failure coming from a mile away. So no one was ever going to be surprised by it.
Re: Sentence Equivalence   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2019, 02:14

Sentence Equivalence

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact