It is currently 19 Sep 2019, 21:14
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Score is Stuck-- Should I hire a tutor?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Score is Stuck-- Should I hire a tutor? [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2019, 14:28
Oh no... I have been making progress on my scores in terms of the reading and writing section but my math score just wont budge-- currently at 155. The puzzling thing is when I first started studying for the GRE quant section, I legitimately did not know maybe half of the math concepts involved. At this point I am pretty confident on the concepts themselves but the score just will not budge.

As many noted on this forum, intuition concerning numbers is a real thing and I am going to continue to drill variety of different questions to this regard. I am also going to be concentrating more on whether I am applying the quant strategies I have learned from Manhattan Prep books whenever I am faced with the question type (any other books on strategy I should check out?). Lastly I am considering buying a GRE Manhattan Prep Course. I am really uncertain about this given the cost and the fact that I am familiar with the concepts... What do you all think? Much appreciated!
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 1710 [1] , given: 7485

CAT Tests
Re: Score is Stuck-- Should I hire a tutor? [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2019, 15:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi,,

I moved the topic under the section Ask to GRE experts because is more pertinent to your question.

Now, in my personal opinion and experience the real problem that students are a hard time to figure out, turns out should easy instead, is that this is a test of inference and logic. It is a game of non-zero sum.

Know all the math concepts on the plane does not secure a good score. You have to apply strategies, being flexible, trying when something does not work and shift plan on the run, attack the question from an odd angle, see patterns and so on.......

A tutor certainly could help you to this.

Moreover, I admit that at Manhattan prep they do a stunning job. However, I did notice that their material is more prone to the GMAT than GRE. Their material is not that good. But maybe this is just me and my personal opinion.

If you wanna a really good teacher with HUGE skills and a great personality devoted to the student, my preference goes for these four people (not necessarily in this order):

1) GreenlightTestPrep https://greprepclub.com/blog/courses/gr ... p/?fl=menu - I personally know Brent (CEO, founder and tutor) and he is simply AMAZING, from a professional and personal standing point. He is also the lead quant expert here on the board AKA " the bald Eagle"
2) MyGuru https://greprepclub.com/blog/courses/my ... 0/?fl=menu - Stefan is in the field for over ten years. Teaching GRE far and wide. No need to add more
3) GregMat - https://www.gregmat.com/learn-quant He somehow has revolutionized the way to teach the student. He does not only is completely 100% devoted to the task but also makes you so comfortable, instilling in you such motivation to study that is almost impossible to improve.
4) Charles Bibilos https://www.gmatninja.com/tutors A personal friend. A great tutor. A perfect score of 800 on the GMAT and 170 on the GRE. Verbal resident expert at GMATClub.com. Actually, the Jimmy Page of tutoring.

See also our course review here at GPC https://greprepclub.com/reviews/?fl=menu

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Score is Stuck-- Should I hire a tutor? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2019, 13:42
This post received
KUDOS
Carcass wrote:
Hi,,

I moved the topic under the section Ask to GRE experts because is more pertinent to your question.

Now, in my personal opinion and experience the real problem that students are a hard time to figure out, turns out should easy instead, is that this is a test of inference and logic. It is a game of non-zero sum.

Know all the math concepts on the plane does not secure a good score. You have to apply strategies, being flexible, trying when something does not work and shift plan on the run, attack the question from an odd angle, see patterns and so on.......

A tutor certainly could help you to this...

Hi Carcass,

thank you so much for the thoughtful response and your writings in general! I am pretty sure a very sizable chunk of the material I have read online concerning GRE stems from you-- pretty sure I bought the GRE prep book I am looking at right now after reading your reviews for instance. I will take a look at all those options today!
Target Test Prep Representative
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: Score is Stuck-- Should I hire a tutor? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2019, 17:43
Expert's post
Hi SusieShushi,

Since your GRE quant score has plateaued, it’s a likely sign that you have numerous weak areas in quant that must be addressed. In order to find and then strengthen those weak areas, you should follow a linear and structured study plan that allows you to learn each GRE quant topic individually and then practice each topic until you’ve gained mastery. Let me expand on this idea further.

For example, let’s say you are learning about Number Properties. When learning about Number Properties, first spend time learning about the various topics within Number Properties, such as LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. Once you have developed conceptual knowledge, practice what you have learned by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you get a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GRE quant skills.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in 1 minute and 45 seconds or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GRE or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GRE is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about How to Increase Your GRE Quant Score

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
22 Reviews

5-star rated online GRE quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GRE quant course on GRE Prep Club. Read Our Reviews

Re: Score is Stuck-- Should I hire a tutor?   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2019, 17:43

Score is Stuck-- Should I hire a tutor?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact