It is currently 03 Aug 2020, 09:39
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Romano misses no opportunity to (i) ____ the practitioners o

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Founder
Founder
Followers: 264

Kudos [?]: 3134 [0], given: 11514

CAT Tests
Romano misses no opportunity to (i) ____ the practitioners o [#permalink] New post 11 May 2020, 06:09
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

12% (00:43) correct 87% (01:14) wrong based on 86 sessions
Romano misses no opportunity to (i) ____ the practitioners of analytic epistemology. Unfortunately, the overheated rhetoric he habitually employs makes him seem at least as (ii)___ as the allegedly narrow-minded academics he is attacking. He charges that they, oblivious in their inbred conventions to time and intellectual culture passing them by, continue to focus on narrow syllogistic arguments in the theory of knowledge. The reasoning of mainstream analytic epistemologists takes a wide variety of forms, and categorizing them as makers of "narrow syllogistic arguments" (iii) ___ at best.

Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii)
heap scorn on innocent a caricature
wreck havoc on intolerant an irony
atone for scathing a ventilation

kudos for the right answer and explanation
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Founder
Founder
Followers: 264

Kudos [?]: 3134 [0], given: 11514

CAT Tests
Re: Romano misses no opportunity to (i) ____ the practitioners o [#permalink] New post 11 May 2020, 08:54
Expert's post
Post A Detailed Correct Solution For The Above Questions And Get A Kudos.
Question From Our New Project: Great Opportunity To Earn Kudos!!!

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Re: Romano misses no opportunity to (i) ____ the practitioners o [#permalink] New post 20 May 2020, 06:49
couldnot understand the sentence
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 63 [2] , given: 14

CAT Tests
Re: Romano misses no opportunity to (i) ____ the practitioners o [#permalink] New post 20 May 2020, 07:37
This post received
KUDOS
It is clear that Romano doesn't like practitioners of analytic epistemology and he misses no opportunity to (i) ____ them
So, blank i should be something negative.
Option B. wreck havoc on is a bit far-fetched and very very negative and option C is positive.
So, option A looks suitable for blank 1.

Romano, while making his statements, himself seem at least as (ii)___ as the allegedly narrow-minded academics he is attacking.
It means blank ii should contain something similar to narrow-minded.
Option E. intolerant means narrow-minded (I wasn't aware of this and got this wrong because of this).
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Romano misses no opportunity to (i) ____ the practitioners o [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2020, 04:33
This post received
KUDOS
for the first blank :
Since the option C is positive, we reject that.
Looking over at options A and B, we look for a clue, read further.
we find the word "rhetoric", therefore, we select option A as scorn means mocking/disrespect.
coming to the second blank, we need something close to narrowminded - so intolerable. Then, for the third blank: I was confused between irony and caricature : I reread the sentence and since, there was no irony as such, and caricature means mocking, and the sentence reflects mocking: the answer is caricature.
hope it helps.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Romano misses no opportunity to (i) ____ the practitioners o [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2020, 05:29
what about the the subtle irony in the last line, The reasoning of mainstream analytic epistemologists takes a wide variety of forms, and categorizing them as makers of "narrow syllogistic arguments" (iii) ___ at best. isn't there a contrast between the two words?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Romano misses no opportunity to (i) ____ the practitioners o [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2020, 23:05
This post received
KUDOS
Just read the last sentence and iii) is clear. "[The reasoning...] and [categorizing them ... is iii)___ at best]." is a comparison: Epistemologist's reasoning is wide, while Romano categorize them as "narrow...". Romano's statements is certainly deviated from truth, and could be a caricature.
Re: Romano misses no opportunity to (i) ____ the practitioners o   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2020, 23:05

Romano misses no opportunity to (i) ____ the practitioners o

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact