It is currently 19 May 2019, 01:15
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

It is exceedingly difficult to make people realize that an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

It is exceedingly difficult to make people realize that an [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2016, 09:01
00:00

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (04:51) wrong based on 1 sessions
It is exceedingly difficult to make people realize that an evil is an evil. For instance, we seize a man and deliberately do him a malicious injury: say, imprison him for years. One would not suppose that it needed any exceptional clearness of wit to recognize in this an act of diabolical cruelty. But in England such a recognition provokes a stare of surprise, followed by an explanation that the outrage is punishment or justice or something else that is all right, or perhaps by a heated attempt to argue that we should all be robbed and murdered in our beds if such senseless villainies as sentences of imprisonment were not committed daily. It is useless to argue that even if this were true, which it is not, the alternative to adding crimes of our own to the crimes from which we suffer is not helpless submission. Chickenpox is an evil; but if I were to declare that we must either submit to it or else repress it by seizing everyone who suffers from it and punishing them by inoculation with smallpox, I should be laughed at; for though nobody could deny that the result would be to prevent chickenpox to some extent by making people avoid it much more carefully, and to effect a further apparent prevention by making them conceal it very anxiously, yet people would have sense enough to see that the deliberate propagation of smallpox was a creation of evil, and must therefore be ruled out in favor of purely humane and hygienic measures. Yet in the precisely parallel case of a man breaking into my house and stealing my diamonds I am expected as a matter of course to steal ten years of his life. If he tries to defeat that monstrous retaliation by shooting me, my survivors hang him. The net result suggested by the police statistics is that we inflict atrocious injuries on the burglars we catch in order to make the rest take effectual precautions against detection; so that instead of saving our diamonds from burglary we only greatly decrease our chances of ever getting them back, and increase our chances of being shot by the robber.
But the thoughtless wickedness with which we scatter sentences of imprisonment is as nothing compared to the stupid levity with which we tolerate poverty as if it were either a wholesome tonic for lazy people or else a virtue to be embraced as St. Francis embraced it. If a man is indolent,let him be poor. If he is drunken, let him be poor. If he is not a gentleman, let him be poor. If he is addicted to the fine arts or to pure science instead of to trade and finance, let him be poor. If he chooses to spend his wages on his beer and his family instead of saving it up for his old age, let him be poor. Let nothing be done for "the undeserving": let him be poor. Serve him right! Also -- somewhat inconsistently -- blessed are the poor!
The author’s argument about imprisonment would be most weakened by showing that

A. imprisonment is not widely regarded as an act of cruelty
B. chicken pox and burglary are not analogous evils
C. imprisonment does not cause malicious injury
D. sentences of imprisonment are given increasingly rarely
E. a burglar who commits murder in self-defense would not be hanged
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B

Last edited by phoenixio on 03 Jul 2016, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Followers: 105

Kudos [?]: 1248 [0], given: 5939

CAT Tests
Re: It is exceedingly difficult to make people realize that an [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2016, 11:39
Expert's post
Hi and welcome to greprepclub

Before to post a new one question, you must follow the rules for posting on the board. Here you do have clear details about rules-to-post-on-the-verbal-forum-1652.html

Moreover, the RC passage must be formatted in a proper manner

Example of How to Post RC Questions

Code:
[highlight]Coding for RC[/highlight]
[box_out][box_in]Paragraph[/box_in][box_in]Questions[/box_in][/box_out]

Back to the question the OA is B

Do not hesitate to ask if something is still unclear.

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 15

Re: It is exceedingly difficult to make people realize that an [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2016, 19:26
This post received
KUDOS
The author begins the passage with arguing evil is evil...so you cannot differentiate between two evils.

Then in the middle of the passage he criticizes people for thinking Chicken Pox as not evil but burglary as evil. So, according to author, you cannot differentiate between Chicken Pox and burglary.

Choice B by saying both Chicken Pox and burglary are not analogous weakens the author argument.
Re: It is exceedingly difficult to make people realize that an   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2016, 19:26

It is exceedingly difficult to make people realize that an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact