It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 12:20
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

QOTD #9 Peculiarly enough, Shakespeare has been often

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 1028 [0], given: 4631

CAT Tests
QOTD #9 Peculiarly enough, Shakespeare has been often [#permalink] New post 10 May 2016, 01:18
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

56% (00:27) correct 43% (00:23) wrong based on 51 sessions
Peculiarly enough, Shakespeare has been often (i) ______ as the best English language playwright, and often (ii) ______ as a man lacking the education to write those plays.

Blank (i)Blank (ii)
A) crownedD) demonized
B) stigmatizedE) dismissed
C) castigatedF) deified

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A and E
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 17

Re: QOTD - Peculiarly enough, Shakespeare has been often [#permalink] New post 10 May 2016, 05:22
This post received
KUDOS
Carcass wrote:
Peculiarly enough, Shakespeare has been often (i) ______ as the best English language playwright, and often (ii) ______ as a man lacking the education to write those plays.

Blank (i)Blank (ii)
A) crownedD) demonized
B) stigmatizedE) dismissed
C) castigatedF) deified

A,E?.....plz provide the QA
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 1028 [0], given: 4631

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD - Peculiarly enough, Shakespeare has been often [#permalink] New post 10 May 2016, 11:34
Expert's post
Quote:
Crowned, dismissed. “Peculiarly enough” indicates that the blanks oppose each other, and “best English language playwright” indicates that blank (i) must be positive, so blank (ii) must be negative. “Crowned” is the only positive word choice for the first blank and is the correct answer; “stigmatized” means condemned and “castigated” means scolded. In the second blank, “deified” has a positive tone and doesn’t express the contrast that the sentence suggests, while “demonized” is much too strong an attitude to direct towards someone for lacking education; “dismissed” is a more appropriate word and the correct answer.

Correct answers. Please next time provide your explanations

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
GRE Forum Moderator
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 26

Re: QOTD #9 Peculiarly enough, Shakespeare has been often [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2018, 03:48
This post received
KUDOS
The word 'peculiarly' indicates that Shakespear received contradicting acclamation. The first blank should be something that recognizes his reputation as the best English playwright. Hence, crowned is the right answer and it just means that the second one should something opposite. So, deified is eliminated. Demonized is something extreme and out of context in this case. Dismissed is the right answer directing us to the fact that Shakespear was celebrated as the best and all the while his methods are disregarded or dismissed due to lack of his conventional education, he is thought to be ill-equipped at times. This is what's peculiar.

Regards,
Scrat
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NYU
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q162 V150
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 16

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD - Peculiarly enough, Shakespeare has been often [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2018, 18:37
This post received
KUDOS
Carcass wrote:
Quote:
Crowned, dismissed. “Peculiarly enough” indicates that the blanks oppose each other, and “best English language playwright” indicates that blank (i) must be positive, so blank (ii) must be negative. “Crowned” is the only positive word choice for the first blank and is the correct answer; “stigmatized” means condemned and “castigated” means scolded. In the second blank, “deified” has a positive tone and doesn’t express the contrast that the sentence suggests, while “demonized” is much too strong an attitude to direct towards someone for lacking education; “dismissed” is a more appropriate word and the correct answer.

Correct answers. Please next time provide your explanations

Regards

for 1st blank: he must be praised as the best english playwright, not stigmatized (negative) as the best (positive) nor castigated (negative) as the best (positive)
for 2nd blank: he must not be demonized as lacking education. it's too negative and dark. he's not deified (positive) as lacking (negative) education. dismissed is just enough.
Re: QOTD - Peculiarly enough, Shakespeare has been often   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2018, 18:37

QOTD #9 Peculiarly enough, Shakespeare has been often

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact