It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 15:03
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

QOTD # 6 Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an en

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1031 [1] , given: 4643

CAT Tests
QOTD # 6 Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an en [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2016, 07:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

44% (01:29) correct 55% (01:05) wrong based on 69 sessions
Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an energy tax in the form of two Frieland pennies for each unit of energy consumed that came from nonrenewable sources. Following the introduction of this energy tax, there was a steady reduction in the total yearly consumption of energy from nonrenewable sources.

If the statements in the passage are true, then which of the following must on the basis of them be true?

A) There was a steady decline in the yearly revenues generated by the energy tax in Frieland.
B) There was a steady decline in the total amount of energy consumed each year in Frieland.
C) There was a steady increase in the use of renewable energy sources in Frieland.
D) The revenues generated by the energy tax were used to promote the use of energy from renewable sources.
E) The use of renewable energy sources in Frieland greatly increased relative to the use of nonrenewable energy sources.

Practice Questions
Question: 6
Page: 36
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Kudos [?]: 1031 [0], given: 4643

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD # 6 Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an en [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2016, 07:18
Expert's post
Explanation

Since the energy tax is based upon the number of units of nonrenewable energy consumed, and since the number of units of nonrenewable energy declined, revenues
generated by the energy tax must have declined as well. Choice A is therefore the correct answer. The passage gives no information on changes in the total amount of energy consumed, changes in the amount of energy from renewable sources that was used, or what revenues raised by the tax were used for, so all the other choices are incorrect.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 15

Re: QOTD # 6 Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an en [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2018, 00:17
is choice A correct ?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 15

Re: QOTD # 6 Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an en [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2018, 00:18
This post received
KUDOS
yea it is correct..sorry i didnt saw that post in which you mentioned the ans
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: QOTD # 6 Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an en [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2018, 20:23
Why Choice B is not correct

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD # 6 Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an en [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2018, 02:03
Expert's post
Because we are the concern of the taxes not of the consumption.

Now I hope is clear. Ask whether you o have further doubts.

regards

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: QOTD # 6 Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an en [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2018, 23:54
A is the answer
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: Q142 V146
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 99

Re: QOTD # 6 Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an en [#permalink] New post 25 May 2018, 10:18
This post received
KUDOS
Even if this question is tagged as easy--it is abouncer to me -- I think the answer is B. Obviously I am out of alingment with what RC is correct answer looks like and hence I get only 30-40 answer correct only.

The biggest hurdle I faced while doing this RC was to make sence of the question. Question is asking the BASIS on which the claim is to be true , moreover the question is a IF question hence we have a liberty to extrapolate the basis. therfore my asnwer was B. I did not even understand the some of the options.

what to do?
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 1031 [1] , given: 4643

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD # 6 Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an en [#permalink] New post 28 May 2018, 16:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This question is tagged easy because it is EASY (at least to some extent). The same OG categorized it as easy.

Moreover, I do think you "overthink" what you should do or not do with the question and what it is asking you.

This is a must be true question with IF or not.

I.E what do you infer reading the stimulus ?? what is NOT clearly stated in the stem but that is true. The tip is this: the answer is a restatement of the stimulus or what is said in one or more of its sentences.

Reading carefully the stimulus, you can almost immediately spot that C, D, and E are out. Nothing is mentioned about renewable energy resources.

We do have "a steady reduction in the total yearly consumption of energy from nonrenewable sources", this means people buy less gasoline, for instance, so the conclusion is less revenue for the government.

Hope this helps.

Regards

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 12

Re: QOTD # 6 Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an en [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2018, 00:22
This post received
KUDOS
sharmaapeksha960 wrote:
Why Choice B is not correct

Conclusion: there was a steady reduction in the total yearly consumption of energy from non-renewable sources.
Option B: steady decline in total amount of energy consumed.
Reasoning on the above: what if consumption of energy from renewable sources increased. Nothing is mentioned related to this. Therefore (B) cannot be definitely stated -> not the apt answer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: QOTD # 6 Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an en [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2018, 09:58
Note that
Quote:
Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an energy tax in the form of two Frieland pennies
implies they did not pay energy tax until recent time.

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD # 6 Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an en [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2018, 10:58
Expert's post
In the timeline before that years (which we do not know for sure) they didn't pay. and after they started to pay

OR as per stimulus - they pay in the form - probably they paid already and then started to pay in another way.

But the take away here is this: focus on the stimulus BUT not overthink. It is detrimental to your performance.

Regards

Re: QOTD # 6 Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an en   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2018, 10:58

QOTD # 6 Years ago, consumers in Frieland began paying an en

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact