It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 04:46
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

QOTD #5 Historically, arguments against women’s suffrage (i)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1033 [1] , given: 4647

CAT Tests
QOTD #5 Historically, arguments against women’s suffrage (i) [#permalink] New post 18 May 2016, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

22% (00:43) correct 77% (00:54) wrong based on 57 sessions

Historically, arguments against women’s suffrage (i) ___________ from the claim that women would cancel out their husbands’ votes to the charge that women would merely (ii) ___________ their husbands’ preferences, thus making their votes redundant. Such arguments, while once convincing, today seem (iii) __________ indeed.

Blank (i)Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
A) ran the gauntletD) overrideG) ponderous
B) ran the gamutE) apeH) shabby
C) held the lineF) disclaimI) cogent

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
The first blank requires something that means ranged. The clue is the two very different beliefs described— that women’s votes would be the opposite of their husbands’, or that the votes would be the same and therefore “redundant.” The idiom “ran the gamut” gets this across (much like the expression “from A to Z”). Though similar-sounding, “ran the gauntlet” means withstood an attack from all sides. “Held the line” has many meanings, some figurative and others more literal, but often is used to mean “imposed a limit.” In the second blank, “ape” means mimic or copy, agreeing with “making their votes redundant.” “Override” (cancel or negate) agrees with “cancel out their husbands’ votes” but the second claim should be in contrast with the first. “Disclaim” means deny, which doesn’t agree with “redundant.” “While once,” signals that the third blank requires something that goes against “convincing.” Meaning mediocre or of poor quality, “shabby” fits. It can describe clothes or furniture, but is often used metaphorically (such as in the expression “not too shabby,” which can describe any job well done). “Ponderous” (awkward or dull) does not oppose “convincing,” and “cogent” is actually a synonym for “convincing.”
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 15

Re: QOTD #5 Historically, arguments against women’s suffrage (i) [#permalink] New post 23 May 2016, 19:40
This post received
KUDOS
The answer are B, E, H

The first blank should be 'range' the nearest choice is ''ran the gamut''
The second blank should be 'mimic' the nearest choice is ''ape''
The third blank should be 'absurd' the nearest choice is ''shabby''

By the way what is the meaning of poderous?

Kudos [?]: 1033 [0], given: 4647

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD #5 Historically, arguments against women’s suffrage (i) [#permalink] New post 24 May 2016, 00:35
Expert's post
Sorry my mistake :)

The word was poNderous :)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 2

Re: QOTD #5 Historically, arguments against women’s suffrage (i) [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2016, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
I love this question.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: QOTD #5 Historically, arguments against women’s suffrage (i) [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2018, 10:14
Really difficult to understand the concept of the first blank. Will it be possible to elaborate on all the 3 choices: ran the gamut, ran the gauntlet and held the line.

Kudos [?]: 1033 [0], given: 4647

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD #5 Historically, arguments against women’s suffrage (i) [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2018, 00:34
Expert's post
The official OE

Quote:
The first blank requires something that means ranged. The clue is the two very different beliefs described—that women’s votes would be the opposite of their husbands’, or that the votes would be the same and therefore “redundant.” The idiom “ran the gamut” gets this across (much like the expression “from A to Z”). Though similar-sounding, “ran the gauntlet” means withstood an attack from all sides. “Held the line” has many meanings, some figurative and others more literal, but often is used to mean “imposed a limit.” In the second blank, “ape” means mimic or copy, agreeing with “making their votes redundant.” “Override” (cancel or negate) agrees with “cancel out their husbands’ votes” but the second claim should be in contrast with the first.

“Disclaim” means deny, which doesn’t agree with “redundant.” “While once,” signals that the third blank requires something that goes against “convincing.” Meaning mediocre or of poor quality, “shabby” fits. It can describe clothes or furniture, but is often used metaphorically (such as in the expression “not too shabby,” which can describe any job well done). “Ponderous” (awkward or dull) does not oppose “convincing,” and “cogent” is actually a synonym for “convincing.”

Ask for further assistance.

Regards

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: QOTD #5 Historically, arguments against women’s suffrage (i) [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2018, 00:57
b,e,h
Re: QOTD #5 Historically, arguments against women’s suffrage (i)   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2018, 00:57

QOTD #5 Historically, arguments against women’s suffrage (i)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact