It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 02:46
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

QOTD#25 Evangeline must spend of her weekly salary on rent a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 1606 [0], given: 375

CAT Tests
QOTD#25 Evangeline must spend of her weekly salary on rent a [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2017, 14:14
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

44% (01:18) correct 55% (01:32) wrong based on 9 sessions
Evangeline must spend \(\frac{3}{8}\) of her weekly salary on rent and \(\frac{1}{6}\) of her remaining salary on food. Which of the following could be percentages of her weekly salary that Evangeline devotes to entertainment, while still enabling her to place \(\frac{4}{9}\) of her salary into a savings account?

Indicate all such percentages.

A. 0.5%
B. 5.0%
C. 7.5%
D. 10.0%
E. 15.0%
F. 25.0%
G. 50.0%

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A, B, C

Drill 4
Question: 13
Page: 323
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 1606 [0], given: 375

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD#25 Evangeline must spend of her weekly salary on rent a [#permalink] New post 04 May 2017, 01:35
Expert's post
Explanation

The problem has percents in the answers and no real values in the question, so it’s a Hidden Plug In; the hidden variable in this case is Evangeline’s weekly salary.

To find an easy number, try multiplying the denominators in the problem: \(8 \times 6 \times 9 = 432\), so Evangeline makes \($432\)per week. Now work the problems in bite-sized pieces.

She spends \(\frac{3}{8} \times $432 = $ 162\) on rent, leaving her with \($432 - $162 = $270\).

Of that, she spends , \(\frac{1}{6}\) or $45, on food, leaving her with \($270 - $45 = $225\).

If she wants to put \(\frac{4}{9}\) of her weekly salary, or $192, into a savings account, then she can only spend \($225 - $192 = $33\) on entertainment.

Finally, use your onscreen calculator to determine that 33 is just over 7.6% of 432, so choices (A), (B), and (C) will all work.

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Re: QOTD#25 Evangeline must spend of her weekly salary on rent a   [#permalink] 04 May 2017, 01:35

QOTD#25 Evangeline must spend of her weekly salary on rent a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact