It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 08:14
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

QOTD#22 The following charts represent April 2008 plant sale

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2014
Posts: 2841
GRE 1: 323 Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 793 [0], given: 134

QOTD#22 The following charts represent April 2008 plant sale [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2016, 07:04
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Image


Question 7: Which of the following is most nearly the percent of plants sold at Friendly Nursery in April 2008 that were herbs?

A. 70%
B. 40%
C. 24%
D. 18%
E. 8%

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
D


Question 8: In April 2008 there were four varieties of tomatoes available at Friendly Nursery: Red Giants, Mortgage Lifters, Beefsteaks and Sun Golds. If 1000 plants were sold, which of the following could be the number of Beefsteak tomato plants sold?

Indicate all possible values.

A. 1
B. 42
C. 246
D. 312
E. 580

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A,B and C



Drill 3
Question: 7, 8
Page: 470


[Reveal] Spoiler: Img
Attachment:
di new.jpg
di new.jpg [ 35.47 KiB | Viewed 1149 times ]

_________________

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2014
Posts: 2841
GRE 1: 323 Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 793 [0], given: 134

Re: QOTD#22 The following charts represent April 2008 plant sale [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2016, 07:09
Expert's post
Explanation

Question 7:The fastest way to answer this question is to assign numerical values to the percentages given in the graphs. You can choose any numbers to work with and get the same answer, but since the graphs give percentages, choosing 100 total plants sold will make things easy. If total plants sold were 100, 71 were annuals. Of those 71 annuals, the second graph says that 24% were herbs. 24% × 71 = 17.04. Since you started with 100 total plants, 17.04/100 = 17.04%. Choice D is nearest 17.04%, so it is the best answer.

Question 8: 1,000 plants were sold, and from the first graph, you know that 71% of them, or 710, were annuals. Looking at the second graph, 40% of the 710 annuals, or 284, were tomatoes. Of those, any, all or none could have been Beefsteaks—you don’t know anything about that. So any number between 0 and 284 will work, making choices A, B, and C the correct answer.
_________________

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Intern
Intern
Joined: 15 Dec 2016
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: QOTD#22 The following charts represent April 2008 plant sale [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2016, 21:23
Actually I think E is the correct answer for the first question, and A and B are the correct answers for the second question. The colour is hard to see on the screen but it looks like annuals comprise 29% of the sales and perennials are the other 71%. On this basis the answer to the first question is 24% of 29% which is 6.96%(since herbs appear to correspond to the 24% section of the second pie graph). The closes answer would be E.
In the second question even though four varieties are available, it is possible that 100% of all the tomato sales are Beefsteak tomatoes. Therefore if 1000 plants are sold we know that 290 of those plants are annuals, and of the 290 annual plants, up to 40% of those could be tomatoes, which means that up to 116 plants sold could be beefsteak tomatoes. Which means A and B would be correct.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2014
Posts: 2841
GRE 1: 323 Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 793 [0], given: 134

Re: QOTD#22 The following charts represent April 2008 plant sale [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2016, 01:32
Expert's post
revengeoftheluddites wrote:
Actually I think E is the correct answer for the first question, and A and B are the correct answers for the second question. The colour is hard to see on the screen but it looks like annuals comprise 29% of the sales and perennials are the other 71%. On this basis the answer to the first question is 24% of 29% which is 6.96%(since herbs appear to correspond to the 24% section of the second pie graph). The closes answer would be E.
In the second question even though four varieties are available, it is possible that 100% of all the tomato sales are Beefsteak tomatoes. Therefore if 1000 plants are sold we know that 290 of those plants are annuals, and of the 290 annual plants, up to 40% of those could be tomatoes, which means that up to 116 plants sold could be beefsteak tomatoes. Which means A and B would be correct.



Hey,

I think you are right.

Question 7 Should be E not D. The official answer is D though.


Regards,
_________________

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Display posts from previous: Sort by

QOTD#22 The following charts represent April 2008 plant sale

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms of Use| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Kindly note that the GRE® test is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by ETS®.