It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 18:23
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

QOTD #10 The length of each side of rectangle R is integer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 1596 [1] , given: 373

CAT Tests
QOTD #10 The length of each side of rectangle R is integer [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2016, 06:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

62% (01:46) correct 37% (00:56) wrong based on 16 sessions
The length of each side of rectangle R is an integer, and the area of R is 36.

Quantity A
Quantity B
Number of possible values of perimeter of R

A)The quantity in Column A is greater.
B)The quantity in Column B is greater.
C)The two quantities are equal.
D)The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.

Practice Questions
Question: 3
Page: 149
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD #10 The length of each side of rectangle R is integer [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2016, 06:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Explanation

Because the length of each side of rectangle R is an integer and each length is a factor of the area 36, there are 5 possible rectangles: a 1 × 36 rectangle, a 2 × 18 rectangle, a 3 x 12 rectangle, a 4 × 9 rectangle, and a 6 × 6 rectangle.

The perimeter of the 1 × 36 rectangle is 2(1 + 36), or 74.
The perimeter of the 2 × 18 rectangle is 2(2 + 18), or 40.
The perimeter of the 3 × 12 rectangle is 2(3 + 12), or 30.
The perimeter of the 4 × 9 rectangle is 2(4 + 9), or 26.
The perimeter of the 6 × 6 rectangle is 2(6 + 6), or 24.

Since each of the 5 possible rectangles has a different perimeter, Quantity A, the number of possible values of the perimeter, is 5. Since Quantity B is 6, the correct answer is Choice B.

Sandy

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: QOTD #10 The length of each side of rectangle R is integer [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2017, 02:03
This post received
KUDOS
Why the length can't more than 7? Say, if length=7, breadth will be 36/7 and so on ? The information is only about length being an integer, it hasn't said anything about breadth, I mean it doesnot say if breadth is an integer as well.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD #10 The length of each side of rectangle R is integer [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2017, 03:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
roshangre wrote:
Why the length can't more than 7? Say, if length=7, breadth will be 36/7 and so on ? The information is only about length being an integer, it hasn't said anything about breadth, I mean it doesnot say if breadth is an integer as well.

Your argument makes sense. This is the official ETS explanation. It is very unusual that ETS makes mistakes such as this one.

Sandy

2 KUDOS received
GRE Instructor
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 1039 [2] , given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD #10 The length of each side of rectangle R is integer [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2017, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
roshangre wrote:

When we are growing up, we learn that the area of a rectangle is length x width, and this sets us up to have incorrect theories concerning what we call the sides of a rectangle.
Many people call the vertical side the length and the horizontal side the width. Others call the longest side the length and the shortest side the width.
None of this is true.

Length does not refer to the arbitrary side of a rectangle. Length refers to the distance from one point to another.

The question says, "The length of each side of rectangle R is an integer, and the area of R is 36"
The word length is not referring to a specific side of the rectangle; it is referring to every side of the rectangle.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brent

Brent Hanneson – Creator of greenlighttestprep.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: QOTD #10 The length of each side of rectangle R is integer [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2017, 09:28
Hi,

One of the options that they give is a 6X6 rectangle...but a rectangle doesn't have four equal sides. It would be a square, right? I know that option B would still be the right answer regardless but if 6x6 is considered a square wouldn't it be four values for the perimeter rather than 5? Hope this makes sense.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 66

Re: QOTD #10 The length of each side of rectangle R is integer [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2017, 23:51
ireland17 wrote:
Hi,

One of the options that they give is a 6X6 rectangle...but a rectangle doesn't have four equal sides. It would be a square, right? I know that option B would still be the right answer regardless but if 6x6 is considered a square wouldn't it be four values for the perimeter rather than 5? Hope this makes sense.

A square is still a rectangle. A special type but a rectangle.
Re: QOTD #10 The length of each side of rectangle R is integer   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2017, 23:51

QOTD #10 The length of each side of rectangle R is integer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact