It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 22:01
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

QOTD#1 Percent of animals at Bronx Zoo

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1664 [1] , given: 396

CAT Tests
QOTD#1 Percent of animals at Bronx Zoo [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2016, 14:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

50% (04:15) correct 50% (05:34) wrong based on 6 sessions

Approximately what percent of all the zoo’s animals are either mammals that were raised in the wild or amphibians
raised in captivity?

(A) 8
(B) 12
(C) 18
(D) 34
(E) 100

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B

If the Bronx Zoo donated all of its insects and fish to other zoos, approximately what percent of the animals in the
zoo would be birds raised in the wild?

(A) 5
(B) 9
(C) 24
(D) 32
(E) 60

B

If the zoo currently has 80 total birds, what is the smallest number of birds that could be added such that at least
20% of the animals at the zoo would be birds?

(A) 10
(B) 80
(C) 100
(D) 125
(E) 200

C

[Reveal] Spoiler: Img
Attachment:
test.jpg
test.jpg [ 91.14 KiB | Viewed 4867 times ]

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: QOTD#1 Percent of animals at Bronx Zoo [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2016, 01:00
This post received
KUDOS
Could explain it easy way

Mitchell plans to work at a day camp over the summer. Each week, he will be paid according to the following schedule: at the end of the first week, he will receive $1. At the end of each subsequent week, he will receive $1, plus an additional amount equal to the sum of all payments he’s received in previous weeks. How much money will Mitchell be paid in total during the summer, if he works for the entire duration of the 8-week-long camp?
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1664 [1] , given: 396

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD#1 Percent of animals at Bronx Zoo [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2016, 06:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sabit85BUET wrote:
Could explain it easy way

Mitchell plans to work at a day camp over the summer. Each week, he will be paid according to the following schedule: at the end of the first week, he will receive $1. At the end of each subsequent week, he will receive $1, plus an additional amount equal to the sum of all payments he’s received in previous weeks. How much money will Mitchell be paid in total during the summer, if he works for the entire duration of the 8-week-long camp?

Answer Here

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [2] , given: 17

Re: QOTD#1 Percent of animals at Bronx Zoo [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2016, 00:31
This post received
KUDOS
i guess the answer for last question should be B i.e 80
because 10%(birds) of total animals in zoo is given as 80 so total number of animals n zoo should be 800
20% of 800 = 160
so the least number of birds that are to be added to make 160 is 80.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Re: QOTD#1 Percent of animals at Bronx Zoo [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2018, 04:41
Sonalika42 wrote:
i guess the answer for last question should be B i.e 80
because 10%(birds) of total animals in zoo is given as 80 so total number of animals n zoo should be 800
20% of 800 = 160
so the least number of birds that are to be added to make 160 is 80.

I got the same answer - 80 (B). Can anyone please explain why it's 100 (C)?
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [4] , given: 0

Re: QOTD#1 Percent of animals at Bronx Zoo [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2018, 21:06
This post received
KUDOS
The Answer for the last question in C as total number of animals after birds are added wont be 800 . If number of birds added are x , then total animals will be (800 + x) and number of bids will be (80 + x) , so (80+x)/(800+x) * 100 = 20
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 15

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD#1 Percent of animals at Bronx Zoo [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2018, 23:09
Can someone explain this whole thing? How do we convert percentages to numbers here?
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1048 [0], given: 4690

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD#1 Percent of animals at Bronx Zoo [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2018, 01:41
Expert's post
What did you not get here ? your request is too dim.

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 15

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD#1 Percent of animals at Bronx Zoo [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2018, 11:03
Carcass wrote:

I had trouble understanding solutions for question 1 and 2
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: QOTD#1 Percent of animals at Bronx Zoo [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2018, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
kruttikaaggarwal wrote:
Carcass wrote:

I had trouble understanding solutions for question 1 and 2

For both question 1 and 2, it may help to pretend there are 100 animals in the zoo (for 100%).

I'll help you with #1. Let me know if that helps you do #2.

The questions asks about mammals raised in the wild (the graph tells us that animals raised in the wild are the dotted bars, and mammals are obviously the mammal bar), and amphibians raised in captivity (striped bar of amphibians).

This is a slightly unusual bar graph, in that the striped bars don't start at the y-axis, so it might trick you into believing that, for example, 10% of all animals are birds raised in the wild. You need to check where the striped bar begins when you want to find out how many percent the bar represents.

Mammals raised in the wild is easy enough. The bar appears to stretch until roughly 6% on the x-axis, so 6% of all animals in the zoo are mammals raised in the wild.

Amphibians raised in captivity is, as I said, slightly trickier. We can easily see that the bar ends at roughly 8% on the x-axis, but we also need to check where it starts. It appears to start at roughly 2%, so the total bar has length 6%.

So 6% of the animals in the zoo are mammals raised in the wild, and 6% of the animals are amphibians raised in captivity, for a total of 12% of the animals in the zoo.

So the answer would be B.

QOTD#1 Percent of animals at Bronx Zoo

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact