It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 06:18
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Putting a cash value on the ecological services provided

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1656 [0], given: 396

CAT Tests
Putting a cash value on the ecological services provided [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2016, 07:45
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

27% (00:47) correct 72% (01:11) wrong based on 43 sessions
Putting a cash value on the ecological services provided by nature — such as the water filtration “service” provided by a forested watershed — has, historically, been a (i)________ process. Early attempts at such valuation resulted in impressive but (ii)________ figures that were seized on by environmental advocates, and then, when these figures were later (iii)________, they were used by opponents to tar the whole idea.

Blank (i)Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
A) dispassionateD) redundantG) ignored
B) problematicE) unsoundH) discredited
C) straightforwardF) understatedI) confirmed

Practice Test Questions
Question: 6
Page: 438

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B and E and H
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1656 [2] , given: 396

CAT Tests
Re: Putting a cash value on the ecological services provided [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2016, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Explanation

The correct response for the first blank cannot be determined without considering the second sentence. The correct choice for the second blank, however, can be determined more readily. Neither Choice D, “redundant,” nor Choice F, “understated,” makes sense when coupled with the preceding “impressive but.” Since the figures were “used by opponents to tar the whole idea,” Choice E, “unsound,” is the word that makes the most sense in this context.

Once “unsound” is selected for the second blank, it follows that “confirmed” cannot be correct for the third blank. And if the figures were “used by opponents,” then they cannot have been “ignored.” Since the figures were unsound, it is natural that they would later be “discredited.”

Now that the figures have been characterized as unsound and discredited, it is possible to identify the correct response for the first blank. From the second sentence it is clear that the process of putting a cash value on the ecological services provided by nature is neither “dispassionate” nor “straightforward.” It is instead “problematic.”

Thus, the correct answer is problematic (Choice B); unsound (Choice E); and discredited (Choice H).

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 22

Re: Putting a cash value on the ecological services provided [#permalink] New post 07 May 2018, 22:05
can anyone please explain the whole meaning of the sentence?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NYU
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q162 V150
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 16

CAT Tests
Re: Putting a cash value on the ecological services provided [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2018, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
awamy wrote:
can anyone please explain the whole meaning of the sentence?

Putting a cash value on the ecological services provided by nature — such as the water filtration “service” provided by a forested watershed — has, historically, been a (i)________ process. Early attempts at such valuation resulted in impressive but (ii)________ figures that were seized on by environmental advocates, and then, when these figures were later (iii)________, they were used by opponents to tar the whole idea.

--> 1. Putting price tags on nature's environmental process has been controversial.
2. Some people have done that to use as an environmental campaign efforts but the numbers were not so rational.
3. When the numbers were revealed as being wrong, opponents of environmental advocates used this fact to attack the environmental advocates' credentials.
Re: Putting a cash value on the ecological services provided   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2018, 10:46

Putting a cash value on the ecological services provided

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact