It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 12:40
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Please help me with this passage

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Please help me with this passage [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2018, 02:43
00:00

Question Stats:

100% (00:05) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
The term “free rider” originates from the idea of someone who rides public transportation
without paying the fare. The “free rider problem” is what results when too many people do
this: the transit system will go bankrupt. More broadly, the free rider is someone who uses
or enjoys the benefits of something without paying, or takes more than his or her share of a
5 public good. Free riders can cause others to curtail their own contributions, not wanting to be
taken advantage of.
In some cases, the free rider problem is viewed as a necessary cost of government. When
citizens pay for national defense or environmental protection, everyone benefits, even those
who evade paying taxes.

71. Which of the following examples match the definition of a free rider problem as described in the
passage?

A. A skateboarder grabs onto the back of a car and is able to travel effortlessly for over a mile
before letting go.

B. A senior citizen pays less for a movie ticket than do the other people in the theater.

c. A yearly school bake sale based on the honor system is suspended when too many people
take food without paying.

Explain why A is also an answer to this question, i correctly chose C but i think Option A does not suite the definition of the "Free rider problem" since only one skateboarder is doing that . IF many had done it then it would have been an option .
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 30

Re: Please help me with this passage [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2018, 11:41
dineshpabbi10 wrote:
The term “free rider” originates from the idea of someone who rides public transportation
without paying the fare. The “free rider problem” is what results when too many people do
this: the transit system will go bankrupt. More broadly, the free rider is someone who uses
or enjoys the benefits of something without paying, or takes more than his or her share of a
5 public good. Free riders can cause others to curtail their own contributions, not wanting to be
taken advantage of.
In some cases, the free rider problem is viewed as a necessary cost of government. When
citizens pay for national defense or environmental protection, everyone benefits, even those
who evade paying taxes.

71. Which of the following examples match the definition of a free rider problem as described in the
passage?

A. A skateboarder grabs onto the back of a car and is able to travel effortlessly for over a mile
before letting go.

B. A senior citizen pays less for a movie ticket than do the other people in the theater.

c. A yearly school bake sale based on the honor system is suspended when too many people
take food without paying.

Explain why A is also an answer to this question, i correctly chose C but i think Option A does not suite the definition of the "Free rider problem" since only one skateboarder is doing that . IF many had done it then it would have been an option .

I was also thinking the answer is C because of :
The “free rider problem” is what results when too many people do
this: the transit system will go bankrupt.
How will the owner of the car go bankrupt? Also only a single skateboarder is grabbing the car.
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 973 [0], given: 4488

CAT Tests
Re: Please help me with this passage [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2018, 02:47
Expert's post
Sorry. The post is locked because does not follow the rules for posting on the board

https://greprepclub.com/forum/rules-for ... -1083.html

Moreover, the question is missing of two answer choices.

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Re: Please help me with this passage   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2018, 02:47

Please help me with this passage

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact