It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 07:47
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Perpendicular lines m and n intersect at point (a, b),

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 4928
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 982 [2] , given: 4518

CAT Tests
Perpendicular lines m and n intersect at point (a, b), [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2017, 10:27
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

25% (00:58) correct 75% (01:57) wrong based on 20 sessions


Perpendicular lines m and n intersect at point (a, b), where a > b > 0. The slope of line m is between 0 and 1. Which of the following statements MUST be true ?

Indicate all such statements.

❑ The x-intercept of line m is positive.

❑ The y-intercept of line m is negative

❑ The x-intercept of line n is positive.

❑ The y-intercept of line n is negative.

❑ The product of the x- and y-intercepts of line m is not positive,

❑ The sum of the x-intercepts of lines m and n is positive.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C,E
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Intern
Intern
Joined: 14 Jun 2018
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 100

Re: Perpendicular lines m and n intersect at point (a, b), [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2018, 07:13
Hello guys. Why (A) and (F) are not true? How you broach the solution here?
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Joined: 20 Apr 2016
Posts: 743
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 500 [2] , given: 86

CAT Tests
Re: Perpendicular lines m and n intersect at point (a, b), [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2018, 20:31
2
This post received
KUDOS
Avraheem wrote:
Hello guys. Why (A) and (F) are not true? How you broach the solution here?



Hello Avraheem,

I hope you are aware with x- intercept, y- intercept, slope of a line, Positive slop and negative slope

Back to the question:

Here the line m is a positve slop and it lies between 0 and 1 and we know that the slope of one perpendicular line is negative reciprocal of the other

So if slope of m = 1 then the slope of line n = \(-\frac{1}{1}\) =\(-1\)

Option A and Option F: The x intercept may not be always positive. We are given that the slope of the line m is positive and lies between 0 and 1. For this x intercept can be negative, positive or zero, whereas the y intercept always remain positive.

For the line n the x intercept and y intercept will always be positive

As there are are no. of possibility of x-intercept for line m ; so option F is also not correct
_________________

If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Intern
Intern
Joined: 14 Jun 2018
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 100

Re: Perpendicular lines m and n intersect at point (a, b), [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2018, 23:16
pranab01 wrote:
Avraheem wrote:
Hello guys. Why (A) and (F) are not true? How you broach the solution here?



Hello Avraheem,

I hope you are aware with x- intercept, y- intercept, slope of a line, Positive slop and negative slope

Back to the question:

Here the line m is a positve slop and it lies between 0 and 1 and we know that the slope of one perpendicular line is negative reciprocal of the other

So if slope of m = 1 then the slope of line n = \(-\frac{1}{1}\) =\(-1\)

Option A and Option F: The x intercept may not be always positive. We are given that the slope of the line m is positive and lies between 0 and 1. For this x intercept can be negative, positive or zero, whereas the y intercept always remain positive.

For the line n the x intercept and y intercept will always be positive

As there are are no. of possibility of x-intercept for line m ; so option F is also not correct


Thanks a lot. Last question, why line m can not pass through (0,0), which is neither positive nor negative?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 21 Jun 2018
Posts: 35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Re: Perpendicular lines m and n intersect at point (a, b), [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2018, 04:26
Carcass wrote:


Perpendicular lines m and n intersect at point (a, b), where a > b > 0. The slope of line m is between 0 and 1. Which of the following statements MUST be true ?

Indicate all such statements.

❑ The x-intercept of line m is positive.

❑ The y-intercept of line m is negative

❑ The x-intercept of line n is positive.

❑ The y-intercept of line n is negative.

❑ The product of the x- and y-intercepts of line m is not positive,

❑ The sum of the x-intercepts of lines m and n is positive.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C,E


Please explain why A & F are not correct?
Re: Perpendicular lines m and n intersect at point (a, b),   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2018, 04:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Perpendicular lines m and n intersect at point (a, b),

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Kindly note that the GRE® test is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by ETS®.