It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 05:09
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Only with the discovery of an ozone hole over Antarctica

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1659 [0], given: 396

CAT Tests
Only with the discovery of an ozone hole over Antarctica [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2016, 07:51
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

30% (00:41) correct 69% (00:59) wrong based on 13 sessions
Only with the discovery of an ozone hole over Antarctica in 1985 did chemical companies finally relinquish their opposition to a ban on chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which destroy ozone. The discovery suggested that strong political action to halt production of CFCs might be (i)________, and fortunately, the chemical industry no longer felt compelled to oppose such action: although companies had recently (ii)________ their research into CFC substitutes, studies they had initiated years earlier had produced (iii)________ results.

Blank (i)Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
A) imminentD) corroboratedG) encouraging
B) imprudentE) publicizedH) inconclusive
C) prematureF) curtailedI) unsurprising

Practice Test Questions
Question: 7
Page: 438

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A and F and G
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1659 [1] , given: 396

CAT Tests
Re: Only with the discovery of an ozone hole over Antarctica [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2016, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Explanation

According to the first sentence, chemical companies opposed a ban on CFCs and then changed their stance in 1985 with the discovery of an ozone hole.
In the first blank, only “imminent” is compatible with the discovery of an ozone hole linked to CFCs: such a discovery would suggest that “strong political action” is required, not that it is “imprudent” or “premature.”

What follows the colon in the second sentence explains why the chemical industry “no longer felt compelled to oppose” a ban on CFCs. In order for the industry to drop its opposition, the outcome of the studies into CFC substitutes must have been positive. Among the choices for the third blank, only “encouraging” has a sufficiently positive connotation.

Finally, the word “although” after the colon indicates that the second blank should contrast with the third blank in some way. Since the completed third blank now indicates that studies of CFC substitutes have been successful, “curtailed” makes the most sense in the second blank. “Corroborated” and “publicized” do not contrast appropriately with the success of the studies.

Thus, the correct answer is imminent (Choice A); curtailed (Choice F); and encouraging (Choice G).

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Re: Only with the discovery of an ozone hole over Antarctica   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2016, 07:54

Only with the discovery of an ozone hole over Antarctica

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact