It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 05:34
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

OG_VPR # 7 As the finances of the energy-trading firm began

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1033 [1] , given: 4647

CAT Tests
OG_VPR # 7 As the finances of the energy-trading firm began [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2016, 02:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

46% (00:42) correct 53% (00:46) wrong based on 15 sessions
As the finances of the energy-trading firm began unraveling, what eventually became (i) ________ was that the company had been concocting “value” out of thin air, thanks not to the trading strategies it promoted as visionary but to financial (ii) ________ that turned a once-solid entity into the most notorious (iii) ________ in an era of corporate scandals.

Blank iBlank iiBlank iii
a) vindicatedd) redemptiong) omission
b) unmistakablee) responsibilitiesh) boon
c) unverifiablef) gamesi) debacle

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B/F/I

Practice Questions
Question: 7
Page: 125
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1033 [0], given: 4647

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # As the finances of the energy-trading firm began un [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2016, 02:17
Expert's post
Explanation

The characterization of the company’s activities as “concocting ‘value’ out of thin air” strongly suggests that its transactions have been fraudulent. The word that completes Blank (ii) must reflect this financial trickery; “games” does so, whereas both “redemption” and “responsibilities” both reflect more upstanding behavior than the sentence ascribes to the firm. The word that completes Blank (iii) should reflect the company’s fall from respectability and have a sense opposite to the “once-solid entity” with which it is contrasted. “Debacle” does this nicely, while the other two choices lack the necessary pejorative meaning. For Blank (i), “vindicated” suggests that there had been previous warnings about the firm’s practices that were eventually borne out, something indicated nowhere else in the passage. “Unverifiable” is at odds with the sentence’s surety about the firm’s wrongdoing; that assurance is best conveyed by “unmistakable.” Thus the correct answer is unmistakable (Choice B), games (Choice F), and debacle (Choice I).

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Re: OG_VPR # As the finances of the energy-trading firm began un   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2016, 02:17

OG_VPR # 7 As the finances of the energy-trading firm began

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact